Most important GoPro tip ever!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha,

As a experienced instructor in the Hawaiian islands I just wanted to share a tip/suggestion for anyone who has thoughts about - or is currently using a GoPro for diving. (forgive me if this is viewed with anything but the intent to help new divers using the units).

Nobody will question how great it is to capture footage of your dives! GoPro has made this easy and relatively inexpensive compared to other video/photo options. However, since their introduction into the sport a disturbing trend is the loss of these cameras. I personally find at least 4-6 of these per year just on the small island of Kauai. Numerous other times I see them dropped during entry/exit or let go of unintentionally underwater. It's heartbreaking to see divers react to these losses - often losing more than just dive footage.

The poles, floats and lanyards all can be dropped. My suggestion is to strongly consider a retractor. It ensures that these $300-$500 losses are far less likely to occur. Most of the instructors here at least have gone to using retractors for this same reason. There are other benefits to the hands free retractors as well.

Retractor - Retractor - Retractor

I hope this post helps at least one diver keep from losing their GoPro and some fantastic underwater memories.

Aloha and best of Ocean Wishes!
A

You've nailed it! $15-$30 is not a big investment to save your camera. I wouldn't dive without my retractor...

A phone number or if traveling internationally, an email address on the inside of the housing is also a good idea.

As far as retainers, I'm partial to the mini-snappys. Sure they have plastic clips but more than likely you are hooking to plastic rings anyway. Plastic clips won't burn you if left in the sun too long. Besides, if something actually is pulling hard enough to snap those clips, you've got bigger problems to worry about.

Can you provide a link to a specific retractor? I need to get one of these for the wife. Don't want to take any shortcuts.

Can you provide a link to a specific retractor? I need to get one of these for the wife. Don't want to take any shortcuts.

Not sure if this link will work or not, but this is the one I have: http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-...qiu5VWA-D_QNOnEL6hYHxVCQ78OavEpjlwxoC8Kzw_wcB

You can clip/unclip it if you need to (I have mine attached to my light and sometimes need to move it around or father away from a subject) and there's a lock on the side so it doesn't move when you don't need it to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom