Most dives for the $$ in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

button

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be changing jobs at the end of January and am taking a week off so that I can go diving over a long weekend (or part of the week). We're thinking of taking 4 or 5 days somewhere between January 17th and 26th.

Hubby and I just returned from a group trip in the Dominican last week and were only able to do two days of diving since we were there with non-divers. Plus, staying at an all-inclusive resort meant we weren't able to spend as much time gorging on food and booze on those days. :wink:

We are both AOW certified, but only have about 20 dives each. After our DR trip, we realized how much we need to figure out our proper weighting (salt/fresh change, plus being overweighted noobs & equipment changes). Diving in the DR was downright embarrassing on the first dive, but by the 2nd dive on the 2nd day we were much better.

We were hoping to mostly use our credit card points for the trip (hotel & airfare) and pay just for food and diving.

All of that said, we own our equipment except for tanks and weights. What is the best option to get about 3 or 4 days of diving (6-10 dives, or 2-3 tanks a day) in for the least amount of money? Is there a good place for some decent shore dives or are we better to go out of the keys on a boat? No more than ~$500 out of pocket for diving for both of us.

We are looking for sites about 40~70 feet. I'd like the option of doing a deeper dive to a wreck or something, if conditions are right/we're feeling comfortable with our skills.

Help?

Thanks! :) Lauren :D

Staying anywhere in Broward County will give you easy access to tons of shore dives & boat dives. You need a dive flag for shore dives!

During the work week at this time of the year you would be hard pressed to find regular afternoon boat trips, but you can usually find a morning boat trip. So you could do some boat diving in the morning and shore dives in the afternoon if the weather cooperates. I actually have a group afternoon boat trip planned on the 18th and you and your husband are welcome to join me if you want.

Keys boat trips are usually $15-20 more expensive than up here so you need to consider that in your budget. Getting regular boat trips may be an issue during the work week as well. Also, I know some people swear there are shore dives in the Upper Keys. I only know of one actual shore dive down there that does not include trespassing or alligators :)

If you want more details or specific recommendations just let me know.

Been down to dive with Rainbow Reef a few times and can highly recommend. You can do a 3 trip (6 dive) package with them for $210. Includes tanks/weights and an in-water guide. Dive prices here. Some places charge extra for tanks, so check on that when comparing. Best of luck, and have fun.

Keep in mind that a lot of the Keys boats include the tanks which is not true everywhere. Also, there are multiday packages. So 3-5 dive trips are usually cheaper.

I note that you do not have many dives yet. If you just want a couple of cheap dives you could start with Jules.
$35 a day plus $8 a tank per diver. So a couple of warm up practice dives are $51 a diver. There are come critters to see also. Not an open ocean dive but good for practice and there are a few things to see.

Take note, they are sewer-ing the Lower Keys and it is a giant mess. I'm going to avoid that area for quite a while.

I don't know the average water temps are in Jan but West Palm Beach may be a good option. You can shore dive Blue Heron Bridge and do boat dives. Scuba Adventures may be a good choice for you. Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures | You can see reef, wreck, turtles, sharks...

Wow, thanks for all of the replies everyone! :) I'll talk to my hubby about it and see what he thinks... looks like WPB may be a winner.

Sewering in the keys???

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom