Most Common Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I gotta go with Curt on this one. I would use double 80s, esp. if you are diving wet.

Make mine a third vote for AL 80's when diving wet. Or 72's... 72's are probably even better - not too negative and not too big or heavy and plenty of gas for no-stop diving.
Rick

Doc Intrepid:
I agree with Curt and O-ring. If you're diving in a wetsuit, there aren't many better choices than sets of double 80s. You can hump heavier tanks, but at the depths you're planning for, ask yourself "why would I want to?"

What type of wetsuit are you using? Because with my 7mm I know that double AL80s would be the worst choice.... this may work for thinner suits though

rescuediver009:
What type of wetsuit are you using? Because with my 7mm I know that double AL80s would be the worst choice.... this may work for thinner suits though
Hmm.. How much weight would you require with double 80s in your 7? I guess I am not clear why it would be a bad choice in this case.

My usual wetsuit is a 7mm Henderson semi-dry (yes, I know, I'm a wimp when it comes to cold).

With E7-100's, I carry 12 lbs of lead with a X-Long SS plate. This places me about a pound or two negative at the surface with a couple hundred psi.

I like that my lead is pretty close to the gas load. Although I use dual bladders, it's nice to have a third option.

If I was diving Al 80's I feel as if I'd have to add roughly 10 pounds of lead to my current load to hit my target of surface/empty/neutral. No thanks.

The true irony is that it's usually a PITA to get gas fills that make it to "full" on the E7's, so they usually are "80's" because of the short pressures.

All the best, James

Thanks for all the great advice from everyone. Seems like 100's or 80's seem like the best choices. I guess maybe I left out that I am trying to get 2 dives in on each trip. That is why I thought 80's might not get me 2 dive nco limit dives. I would on the first,but would have to cut my 2nd dive short until I get my breathing better.My wet siut is a semi dry Mare. I guess I will keep my E8 119 for single deep dives and go with the 80's or 100's for a set of doubles.

O-ring:
Hmm.. How much weight would you require with double 80s in your 7? I guess I am not clear why it would be a bad choice in this case.
With a 7mm two piece for the mighty coldI would be about 24 pounds with a single aluminum. Add another and you would have to account for the extra positive buoyancy at the end which would be about 3-4lbs.

Fdog, your XL plate only gives you 2 lbs? are you sure this is SS.Most SS plates, ie- OMS are at least 6lbs. neg. I would assume the XL is only more negative.

It's an Extra-long stainless steel FredT plate. It certainly heavier than the Aluminum Extra-long FredT plate that I also use.

When freediving, 26 lbs is neutral with this 7mm Semi-dry. I'm 6'2''.

All the best, James

Double 100's
Good for non deco diving? I love it, HAHAHAHAHAH Good gracious, what the heck is goiing on out there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom