Most Affordable Place To Stay In Belize For One Person?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@cleung, your request to not be able to hear any bar activity etc. At your preferred rate, has caused me a quandry. I shall need to do some research.

Definitely do not go to Pedro's LOL

Well I figure that if I'm going to have to get up early to catch a long boat ride out to the outer atolls, it would be nice to get a good night's sleep first.

Well I figure that if I'm going to have to get up early to catch a long boat ride out to the outer atolls, it would be nice to get a good night's sleep first.

:)

I understand that but like many Central American countries and other tourist towns, there's music, people and dogs. :p

Are you a very light sleeper?

:)

I understand that but like many Central American countries and other tourist towns, there's music, people and dogs. :p

Are you a very light sleeper?

Yes unfortunately I am. I recall being in Utila and Roatan where noise into the night were issues too. Fortunately my last dive trip which was on a liveaboard in the Galapagos, noise was not an issue at night as all the guests went to bed by 9 pm each night due to exhaustion. Noise was not an issue in Saba either since it's not a party island and in St Maarten, I was in a multi floor hotel so didn't hear much from the street.

I figure for Ambrigis, if the target dive shop was within a short walk from accommodations that are not located in party central, that would be okay.

On Ambergris, the dive op will come and pick you up at the dock either at or closest to your hotel.

Here's my favorite place and even though it's pretty near central, as long as I'm sleeping with the balcony doors closed, I don't hear much.

You can walk out the door of the lobby, turn onto the beach, walk the front of the building and right onto the dock of Amigos del Mar.

Mayan Princess

San Pedro Belize Hotel | Mayan Princess

I like to stay on the second or third floor on the north side of the building.

I like Mata Rocks too. It's never been noisy when I've been there but since it does have the sleepy little beach bar on the property, that can go sideways with just one group of friends staying there at the same time that you are. But it's pricier and a jaunt from the main part of town. If no partying group staying, should be quite quiet.

Probably the best thing, is that you do some research and pick out some places that you find acceptable based on that. Then I should be able to give you a bit more insight about the place and/or surrounding area.

Feel free to send me a pm if you don't wish to share all on Scubaboard.

I stay at Turneffe and Blue Hole is included in the package price. Most dive sites are with in 10 min of the resort...Blue Hole is a t-shirt dive not much to see still around 1 hour by big boat but Half Moon wall is worth the trip and you stop there on the way back after lunch at Half Moon caye

I do have personal experience with the Blue Hole, we dove it in 2007 from the Turneffe Flats Resort. It is certainly a bucket list dive, although we would dive it again if we could. The dive is pretty straightforward, you simply drop over the edge and go straight down. The sharks are at about 100' (not 300'), and just hang out in the middle. The real attraction is the stalactite/stalagmite complex at about 130'. It is hard to realize, and I think few appreciate that these formations occur in air, so what you are experiencing (much like the cenotes of the Yucatan) is clear evidence of geological events of the past, and a significant change in sea level.

Global warming - prehistoric style. So cool.

We did BH even though we knew before that it was over-rated.

I have to respectfully disagree. The BH is a great dive... the problem is the way most people need to dive it. When there are 3 or 4 cattle boats with 12 or 16 people on each, and with the majority of those people severely under-qualified/under-experienced, then it's a frantic, disappointing dive, I agree.

When we dive it from Huracan, it's a 15 minute run out there. Generally, there aren't more than 8 divers, and in my case, they're generally friends who are very capable. Most of us bring stage kits and a second regulator and sling an 80 as a stage. This allows us to do a nice long deco dive, with literally nobody else around.

Lonely Ed © DSC_8737.jpg

Blue Hole close © DSC_0387.jpg

I have to respectfully disagree. The BH is a great dive... the problem is the way most people need to dive it. When there are 3 or 4 cattle boats with 12 or 16 people on each, and with the majority of those people severely under-qualified/under-experienced, then it's a frantic, disappointing dive, I agree.

When we dive it from Huracan, it's a 15 minute run out there. Generally, there aren't more than 8 divers, and in my case, they're generally friends who are very capable. Most of us bring stage kits and a second regulator and sling an 80 as a stage. This allows us to do a nice long deco dive, with literally nobody else around.

View attachment 548948

View attachment 548958

Ah, sweet, you drop down to the sandy shelf too

Ah, sweet, you drop down to the sandy shelf too
It's possible a couple of us exceed the generally accepted depth limit for recreational diving. :) Typical run time is about 75 minutes.

It's possible a couple of us exceed the generally accepted depth limit for recreational diving. :)

Only possible, eh? Do you also weave through the tunnels and poke into the small caverns a bit higher up?

Back
Top Bottom