mosquito not reading depth correct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This afternoon I went and met up with a friend for a couple of dives. The max depth was going to be 30 ft (hard bottom there). Well, once at around 15 ft I look at my computer and notice it is just cutting on. The whole dive it read the depth about 16 ft to shallow. The max depth of the dive was 29 ft and my computer said it was 13 ft (avg depth of 8 ft). Anyone else had problems with a mosquito doing this? The computer is not even a year old yet.

Jason

Mine appears fine on depth...but lately it's been resetting itself to Jan 1 at inopportune times. When it does this, it also "thinks" I've just started the dive...so the bottom time will go from, say....45 minutes down to 0 instantly. And when I start my next dive, the computer doesn't account for the dive that began before it reset...so it's essentially treating the 2nd dive as if it's the first one of the day. (I'm familiar enough with the sites & dives I do as a guide that I recognize the NDL as looking like a "first dive of the day." It doesn't bother me so much when I do recreational dives, since I did my first 2,500 of them WITHOUT a computer...just have to make a note of time & depth & such....but it's annoying & I'll send it in next time I go to where I bought it & see if I can get it replaced...one of the service techs there said that had been an issue with the mosquitos, and they might have fixed the problem in the meantime.

Oh well, I tried it out again Saturday on two dives and it performed wonderfully. Not sure what happened with it on Friday. I'll be keeping my eye on for for sure though.

Jason

Jason B:
Oh well, I tried it out again Saturday on two dives and it performed wonderfully. Not sure what happened with it on Friday. I'll be keeping my eye on for for sure though.

Jason

Check to see if you are strapping it on too tight.

Rich

I've had my mosquito for nearly 2 years. I sent it back for service about 6 weeks now and am still waiting for some word. At least 4 different times it has gone into dive mode on the boat. So on the boat deck it reads 19 ft. I've had to pop the back off to reset the computer. I''ve got this theory that it is related to my crossing my arms across my chest on the hot boat such that the computer is tricked into thinking it is underwater. (Not a very scientific theory I'll grant you).

My D3 was playing the same game, it's not a computer, but some of the same symptoms.

The, reseting to Jan 1 could be a loose battery or the little battery lever-spring-thing being bent down a little bit.

Mine also started showing incorrect depths, typically shallower than it actual was. But on some dives it was okay. (I dive with two wrist mounted gauges, so I catch it rather quickly when one screws up). It's currently back and Aqualung... no word yet.

-mer

The problem that lhpdiver is facing is propably wetness. If mosquito gets wet it goes to dive mode. It helps if you dry it after a dive and don't strap it too tight. I have had a few occasions that my mosquito has switched to dive mode on ground. Few times at gym actually :)

The only real problem I've had so far is that the whole computer has freezed twice. Clock freezes and no button works. Removing battery helped and computer has worked fine since.

kapula:
The problem that lhpdiver is facing is propably wetness. If mosquito gets wet it goes to dive mode. It helps if you dry it after a dive and don't strap it too tight. I have had a few occasions that my mosquito has switched to dive mode on ground. Few times at gym actually :)

The only real problem I've had so far is that the whole computer has freezed twice. Clock freezes and no button works. Removing battery helped and computer has worked fine since.

It's one thing it going into dive mode, but once it gets confused it never come out of dive mode - until I pop the back. Also - it doesn't go to 0 ft dive mode - it goes to 19 feet.

I had a mosquito last year that suddenly started going crazy. I believe the most memorable log in the computer was when I went from 50 meters to 300 meters within 10 seconds, then back up to 45 meters all on a site that had a maximum depth of about 20 meters. So......I sent it to suunto and they eventually replaced the whole unit. Personally, I would not continue diving with a computer that wasn't registering the correct depths or dive/no dive.

I ve got the same problem and the opposite situation.
When I was in Cuba, the mosquito got crazy at last dive and after I got out off the dive, it still keep showing 16m. I ve got a plane and it started to goes up to 11m, but when we landed, it returned to 16m. I reseted the battery and everything returned to ordinary situation.
I dived again with no problems, but 2 months later when I was Diving in Brasil, when I start my safety deco at 4m, the mosquito showed me that I emerged and then entered into error mode for 48h.
Afterthat I dived 10 times whitout a problem, so since I have this computer for 3 years and experienced twice those problems, for while I will keep it. No theory what a h..happened

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom