morrits tortuga club Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinpt

New
Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum . I would really appreciate your help.Would like to hear from anyone who has been to Morritts Tortuga club on the east end of Grand Cayman. Any information would be helpful . Also , I would like to dive with Tortuga Divers . My wife and I are relatively new divers ( 30 Dives each) . My daughter is 15 and is just certified. Would this be a good choice for her first dive experience? Also, I have two chices as to when I could go. Late March or Mid July. Does one date have any advantage over another ? Thanks

You might PM DrewSailbum. I believe he works at Morrits. Or he might just wander into this thread on his own shortly.

I work at Tortuga Divers at Morritt's Tortuga Club. Let me try to make my comments a bit general to East End diving.

Morritt's Tortuga Club and The Royal Reef are the two large resorts on the East End of Grand Cayman. These resorts are on adjoing properties on the northeast tip of the island in what is technically Colliers. Colliers is so tiny that it doesn't even qualify as a village. Almost all of the other resorts are along Seven Mile Beach on the other end of the island.

Both properties are located on a very quiet stretch of uncrowded beach. Even in the busiest time you have plenty of room to spread out. Both resorts provide plenty of beach lounge chairs.

Diving East End is with one of three operators - Tortuga Divers (at Morritt's), Ocean Frontiers (stand alone shop in Sand Bluff plus a retail only shop at The Royal Reef) or Cayman Diving Lodge (in East End village). All of the operators take advantage of numerous buoys marking all of the popular East End dive sites. Each shop also has a few secret spots for anchor drops.

East End offers wall diving along the sheer drop of the Cayman Wall (which circles the island). Some sites have sand chutes with canyonways or tunnels heading out onto the wall. The wall is much steeper on East End than on the west side.

Many shallow sites are along a mini-wall drop off. Some of those sites are deeply eroded with numerous coral heads broken away from the mini-wall. Swim thrus, canyonways, and a few caverns dot these sites.

Generally, the coral is healthier on East End due to less diver pressure. We have beautiful reefs with vibrant soft and hard corals. So you have realistic expectations, we do not have: wrecks, wall sites shallower than about 50ft, or consistently flat calm seas.

Tortuga Divers often handles newly certified divers. We require new divers to stay shallow (max 60ft) while they build experience.

As to other considerations, it may be rather hot in July with less wind (and perhaps calmer seas). I haven't looked at a calendar, but Spring Break is a very busy season especially Easter week. Between those dates we would expect thimble jellyfish season to come and go.

AHA! Toldya! :D

I've stayed at the Cayman Dive Lodge before, but haven't been to either of the others. CDL is smaller. It's all-inclusive too - well, you sorta hafta be on east end :D

Drew mentioned that it can be "rather hot" in July. tinpt - your profile doesn't list a location so I don't know where you're from, but temps are relative. I live in Minnesota, and I think I'd melt in July on Grand Cayman. If you're from Florida or Arizona or something like that, you probably wouldn't think it was anything above normal.

Enjoy your trip. I've been counting down to my next one. Getting close to "4 months left." Long, but sounds a lot better than 11.

We've been going to GC since 1993, staying at Indies Suites where we have timeshare time and diving the East End with Ocean Frontiers for the last six years. I would suggest March but agree with Drew to avoid Easter or Spring Break time if you can. The last couple years the thimble jellies have been a nuisance later in the season. I have no idea about the conditions in July although I would assume that the breeze still blows, the rains have come and gone and so have most of the visitors. Just MHO. I enjoy GC every time I go and look forward to visiting the many friends I have made there over the years. BTW diving the East End is the way to go. Great conditions, not crowded and good sites.
TedJ

I stayed at Morritt's in July '98. Initially it was too warm for me, but I acclimated quickly....especially being wet most of the time! We did all our diving, except shore diving, with Ocean Frontiers. I have good memories of the experience and found the diving quite enjoyable.

If funds are an issue, we had a suite with a kitchen. Did all our breakfasts & all but one lunch on our own. We did go to dinner most nights, but on the night we did a night dive we ate in our kitchen...hot chili to warm the bones!

Groceries can be pricey on GC. We brought most of our non-perishables from the states in a separate suitcase and purchased milk, cheese, fruit, meats, etc at the grocery in Georgetown. It worked very well for us and I'd do it again if the opportunity arose.

Heading to Morritt's in 12 days. I can't wait. I'll be diving with Tortuga Divers, again.

I haven't been in March, so I can't say what it is like. July is a bit hotter, but it isn't unbearible. I have been there in early July and early August. Hotter than other months, but the water will keep you cool. The water does feel like bath water when you step in from the beach.

I'll take a trip there just about anytime of the year.

Rob

Thanks to everyone for their help. I live in Alabama so the July weather would not be a factor. The most important issue is finding a place for my daughter to experience diving in the most positive way possible. I want to try to avoid any bad experiences until she gets more comfortable underwater. If anyone thinks the seven mile beach area would be a better choice please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom