Morrison Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I visited Morrison for ther first time last weekend. I had viewed pictures and read many written accounts regarding the history of this spring. The spring, surrounding area, and diving was really nice.

My only question is.......where did all the water go? Even the outflow seemed less than what other divers had previously described. From the water marks on the floating dock and surrounding trees, the level seemed to be down about 8' to 10'! Has it been this shallow for very long and is this typical?

Thanks

I dove there this past september. Dont recall it being low and the outflow was strong enough that you had to pull yourself down into the cavern with the rope. I have a video on vimeo. search swander and morrison springs.

The water level is dictated by the river level of the Choctawhatchee River. Before today, we just haven't had much rain, so the water levels are low.

Once we get more rain, the water levels will raise, tannic water will cover the basin, and everyone will complain that the levels are high and how they can't remember when its been so high :p

The water level is dictated by the river level of the Choctawhatchee River. Before today, we just haven't had much rain, so the water levels are low.

Once we get more rain, the water levels will raise, tannic water will cover the basin, and everyone will complain that the levels are high and how they can't remember when its been so high :p

you stop that.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I did not do a giant stride from the platform, I did the beach entry instead. The water was low enough that all the jagged branches at the base of the platform posed a hazard. I wonder why all that debris is located at the platform, but nowhere else. It seems like the state would remove that stuff before a diver gets impaled on one of those things.

Sanitizing the basin of all natural detailsl isn't going to make for a nice looking dive site.

IMO, they should have never put the boardwalk up in the first place.

You shouldn't need the state to protect you from jumping on cypress roots, if you can't figure out its a bad idea to do so... stay out of the water.

I agree that we shouldn't sanitize the spring of natural features, after all it is a spring, not a swimming pool. With that said, I know a kid that jumped off a bridge a few years back and impaled himself on a cyrpress knot....not blaming the knot though :)

Sanitizing the basin of all natural detailsl isn't going to make for a nice looking dive site.

IMO, they should have never put the boardwalk up in the first place.

You shouldn't need the state to protect you from jumping on cypress roots, if you can't figure out its a bad idea to do so... stay out of the water.

If the state puts up a platform with the reasonable expectation that people will be jumping off of it, it has the responsibility to not put it directly over a hazard. I'm not saying that we should delegate our safety to the state, but the state should not entice jumpers into a hazard.

That was my first trip there, and to be honest, I didn't spend a lot of time examining them, but they didn't look like Cypress knees or roots to me. It just looked like a pile of jagged debris that accumulated there. I am not advocating "sanitizing" the spring, just moving some debris that is a hazard. If I am mistaken and it is Cypress knees, the platform shouldn't even be there.

The platform isn't a diving board, stepping off shouldn't be hazardous, even in times of low levels(which isn't always the case).

Don't move anything in the spring, unless man put it there.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

If Morrison is too hazardouse to your health, don't dive there.

The platform isn't a diving board, stepping off shouldn't be hazardous, even in times of low levels(which isn't always the case).

Don't move anything in the spring, unless man put it there.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

If Morrison is too hazardouse to your health, don't dive there.

:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom