Morehead report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayJudge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well...
I ran down to Morehead on Monday for a midweek charter on the Mutiny (Atlantic Beach Diving Services) To those of you that don't know, they are the newest outfit there, but one of (and in my opinion absolute top) the best.
Tuesday, with crew of Amy, Al, and Will, we ran out with the Gay family to the Papoose-or wreck formerly known as the Papoose) Tied in at the break, with vis running 50 or so. The first dive I ran around the collapsing sections, happily looking for the usual- fish and artifacts. I saw no sharks. Second dive, I ran to the stern, playing in the 100 ft range instead of the sand through most of my dive.
Wednesday, same crew, Joe Gay had gone home, but an AZ group (hopefully I get this right) called Scuba Sciences rode out along with a pair of divers from Richmond, VA- Mike and his wife. We hit the Schurz (my favorite!) I poked around the wreck, too many damn lionfish. I saw 3 octopi under a plank, each around 8 inches tip to tip. An absolutely facinating wreck. I was first in, but ended up being last out both dives we did. Vis running 60 to 70 feet with a bottom temp of 79.
Thursday, same groups, we dove the sub. I guess it was my cross to bear for having gotten to the Papoose and the Schurz back to back. I know this will catch some flak, but I think the sub is the most boring dive there. Covered in lionfish, no larger marine life, and it looks like a giant cigar. I decided to save my time and backgas, so I had a total run of 30 minutes. We decided to go to a second wreck- originally to the Ashkabad, but went to the Hardee's instead. Vis was at 15 to 20, green water. From the liftbag on the anchor you couldn't see the wreck. However, the interior was a bit better for some reason, so I ran to the stern, out to the pipes, and had as good a time as could be (with most of the crappy places we go, 15 to 20 is still a good day)
Friday, the crew was joined by Jim and Sandy, and Wade. The group changed to FL's Diver Down- a fun bunch. We ran out to the Papoose first, where I saw my first underwater turtle- lazily swimming at 110 ft. Awesome! I swam from the break to the bow, stopping by a hole where Sandy indicated a lobster was waiting to become dinner. Unfortunately, I had neither the timing, nor a bag for this to happen. Upon surfacing, it was determined to run off to the Schurz. YEAH!!!!! You could parachute to the wreck, vis was so good. During my bottom time, someone's tank made an unscheduled dive, sans diver, BC, and reg. Capt. Al took Capt. Jim on the anchor back to our tie in, and let the boat drift off the wreck to where the bottle was ultimately found. An awesome job!
All in all, an incredible week, with a crew that can't be beat. If you are going to Morehead, do yourself a favor and hook a ride on the Mutiny. :D
http://www.atlanticbeachdiving.com/
-Jay

Sounds like a great trip!

Color me Jealous!

sounds like some good diving! i'm trying to convince my wife to make a trip down in aug. the 79 temp will help make my case :D

NC is great. Like I said, try Atlantic Beach Diving Services- they are a larger boat, but not a cattle op. Just a warning, depths are usually 100-120 for most wrecks, and boats like to see similar experience.....Our group (Trailer Trash Scuba) returns October 5,6,7 (that first Fri-Sun) for the seafood fest and diving. Right now I can still get spots, so if anyone is interested in joining us- say something.
-J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom