Morehead City, NC diving advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please let me add my views. I also was on the September weekend trip. I have nothing but good things to say about the entire weekend. I really didn't know what to expect as far as lectures and "hands on " stuff, but I looked at it as a weekend away with guys who I dive with at work, and we were getting 5 meals and 2 dives for the price. I was extremely pleased with the entire weekend. The Lectures that were presented were done done by the people who wrote the book on the subject they were speaking on...really..the actual person speaking was the author. I found every lecture to be outstanding. The information that was presented was done in a way that everyone could understand, no matter what level of prior knowledge you had on whatever the subject was, be it underwater geology, archeology, pirate history, artifact preservation, ship building and construction or marine biology. Just look at the people who are giving the lectures: The Lead Archaeologist, a Dr. in marine geology, a Dr. in marine biology, the Lead Conservator. This isn't just the guy from the dive shop up there babbling on and on..these people are the real deal in their field. We did a dive on Saturday afternoon, at the Theodore Parker. This was a nice dive. Nothing special, but a nice dive. Sunday morning was more lecture and actual "hands on" activities. We were sifting through and screening through buckets of sediment that was brought up from the QAR wreck. We found glass beads, lead shot of different sizes, buttons and gold dust and flakes.
The QAR is a protected archaeological site. That should be enough to let you know that it is not going to be a regular wreck dive. The dive is guided. Each buddy team had a guide. The guides are there for a few reasons. They point out different items that are in concretion so you know what you are looking at, they lead you to different parts of the wreck in an controlled plan (they don't want everyone running helter skelter all over the place), and they are there to help you if you have a problem due to the sometimes strong surge and current on the wreck.
As far as viz on the QAR, since I usually dive in Long Island Sound or the Great South Bay on long island, I am used to about 2 feet being good viz. On the QAR we had about 12-15 feet viz. To me this was more than acceptable. I thought the QAR dive was great, even with the 12 ft viz. I actually was holding on to a cannon with one hand and an achor with the other .. of Black Beards ship. How cool is that!!
Overall I would have to say that if you do the QAR weekend, you will not be disappointed. If you want to dive other wrecks thats fine, you could always do that, but if you want to dive on and experience something that is a true part of history that not many people will ever get the chance to do, then dive the QAR. Chris

I live in Morehead City, and in addition to participating in the Dive Down program, I have dove on the U-352, Papoose/Hutton (as well as Hutton/Papoose), Spar, Schurz, and many other stellar wreck dives not mentioned by the "experts" bashing the QAR. So I believe I am qualified to call b.s. on most, if not all, of what has been posted here trivializing the Dive Down program/QAR dive.

First, I question whether any of those so blithely dismissing the Dive Down program have actually participated in it. Since they only mention the depth of the dive (and what a telling trait that is...) I highly doubt any of them have any real knowledge or information about the program.

Second, I would be the first to praise the fabulous experience of diving our many deep wrecks. However, I will always view my QAR dive as being in a class by itself. Keep in mind that it's more than just a dive. In fact, the weekend-long program, comprised of fascinating presentations by the scientists and archaeologists actually excavating the wreck would have been worth the cost of the program even if there had not been an actual dive on the QAR.

But as for the dive itself, part of what the program teaches you is how to look at the remains as an archaeologist would. What would look just like some rocks and rubble to the uneducated eye is transformed into Blackbeard's ship. You are shown, beforehand, how to pick out the shape of a cannon, or where to look for the ballast stones, for example. It's a fascinating and rewarding dive.

Finally, if you're looking for testosterone-infused bragging rights -- always a possibility when speaking with people who kick off a discussion of a particular dive by talking about it not being deep enough for them -- try this on for size: there are only a handful of divers, worldwide, who will ever dive on the QAR; after this year, that number will be capped forever.

By all means, check out NC Wreck diving; you won't be disappointed with any of our wrecks, or dive operators. But to bash the QAR experience by using the criteria used for an average wreck dive is both ignorant and annoying.

For anyone considering going through the program, as a past participant I can promise you that Dive Down is an outstanding program, and the dive on the QAR is a once in a lifetime experience.

Coqui,

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, and rightly so. Having said that...I am going to chime in on my own humble opinion.

The Dive Down program is not simply about diving the QAR. This a great educational opportunity for anyone who takes part in it. You will learn about maritime history regarding Blackbeard, how his ship got to where it now lies, as well as the history of 18th century N.C. and piracy in general. You will be exposed to the archaeological endeavours related to the QAR project, artifacts and their conservation, as well environmental topics, etc...By the time you get to the QAR, you will have a much broader perspective to take to the site with you, which will make the experience very fulfilling.

Before you make a decision, I would encourage you to see what others...who actually took part in Dive Down...have to say about their experience. I teach diving in Beaufort, N.C and see quite a few people each year who have participated in the program. Not one single time have I ever heard anyone say that they wish they hadn't done it. The reply I usually get is...It was Fantastic!!! I have dived the wreck myself and would do it over and over. I feel confident that you will find it an awe inspiring experience. It has been for me....and obviously for those who have done it in the past.

There have been many divers who can say they dived the U-352, but there are very few who are fortunate enough to be able to say they took part in Dive Down. I can assure you it will be a very enriching and rewarding experience. I hope that you will give it some serious thought before you pass this opportunity up...

Safe diving....

Living in Morehead, you know that describing a site there by depth isn't a testosterone thing. Depth can be a pretty good proxy for what conditions will be like on the dive. Let's face it. There aren't a lot of tourists clamoring to dive the Parker or the AB Bridge rubble. It's not the type of NC dive that the local industry promotes, or the type that ranks nationally in the glossy dive magazines, or the type that people outside the region expect when they come here.

I think that the QAR dives do appeal to a certain type of diver. Those who are interested are REALLY interested. The rest of us, some of who are actually quite interested in the history of the other sites we dive, don't see things the same way for whatever reason. The tradeoff (time, money, restrictions, whatever) compared to other opportunities is just too high.

There is also some real chance that you won't actually get to dive the QAR site (weather), if that influences your decision.

Maybe following the local news about the wreck takes the shine off. Is it really Blackbeards ship?, why do they want state tobacco money?, are we going to put another sand pile out there?, and so on....

I don't think the reactions you see are all that different than the reaction to cave diving, for example. Some can't help but follow the voice calling them into the darkness. Others take some cavern/cave training and decide that salt, fish, and wrecks are where it's at. You won't convince very many divers to change their minds once they have decided.

My advice would be: unless you got really excited when you heard about the QAR program, consider spending the time and money on offshore wrecks first. But what do I know, I'm probably ignorant and annoying :)

Thank you all for the great responses, now I'm looking forward to diving the QAR even more than before. I'm one of those who hunger for knowledge, is fascinated by history, and yes I did get excited when I first read about the QAR Divedown project.

By the way as I'm sure you noticed I changed my username from Coqui Diver to El Tiburon.

Can anybody recommend any good books I can read about Blackbeard before the trip to prime myself with the history of Blackbeard and the QAR? Thanks all for your help.

I am also diving the QAR this year (with Tiburon) & am extremely excited to see what is (possibly) the wreck of Blackbeard's flag ship. Being a huge fan of maritime & pirate history, this is a rare opportunity to see an incredible piece of history. Thanks to all those who provided reviews of the QAR experience & a special thanks to Lauren Hermley for her help with getting us down there!

El Tiburon,
In terms of books, there are plenty- it depends on how much time you have. The best place to start is Pirates, Privateers, and Rebel Raiders of the Carolina Coast by Dr. Lindley Butler, one of the lead historians on NC piracy. I'm more than happy to send you my copy; don't buy one as you'll be receiving an autographed copy when you get here. Dr. Butler is the Keynote Speaker at the dinner on Saturday evening, so you'll have an opportunity to speak with him at length. If you want other reading recommendations, let me know!
Boomer- it's my pleasure and let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Cheers,
Lauren

One more: watch out for speed traps in NC, including in Morehead City itself. At one point in downtown Morehead the speed limit drops from 45 to 25 without much warning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom