More than one Shearwater on the same desktop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So I have a Petral and Mrs Stoo has a Perdix. When we travel, we don't want to take two laptops, nor do we have Internet access...

Can anyone comment on what happens if we sync two computers to one laptop? I figure one of the following will happen:

1) Nothing
2) Our logs will be irreparably mixed up
3) It'll ask if I want to add this second computer, then work flawlessly (kinda what I expect, being Shearwater and all)
4) It'll blow up my computer

Mrs. Stoo's Perdix is pretty new and she has little interest in downloading her logs. I don't really care about that so much either, so the second part of my question has to do with Firmware updates etc. Can I update her computer from my Shearwater Desktop?

Thanks folks!

Hi, Stoo.

Below you will find a screenshot of what happens in Shearwater Desktop when you sync in two computers into one single desktop. Jolly Roger is a Perdix AI and Daschande is a Predator. The dive highlighted in blue (155ft in Whytecliff Bay) is the same dive as the one highlighted in grey right underneath it. I was wearing both; one on each arm. The clock discrepancy is my fault as I did not update dates/times after a dive trip I took. As you can see each dive computer will report their own different dive numbers and dates/times. So in short, the answer is more along the lines of your option #3. Just sync it as usual and specify if it is a Petrel or a Perdix when prompted.

Cheers

upload_2018-3-7_11-52-56.png

-Gabe

Lovely... and another example of Shearwater's lousy customer service... Geez, 24 minutes to respond... :rofl3:

So, that might prove to be annoying since we are two people...

If I just want to update her firmware, is that as simple as I expect?

(And thank you for you great service, and gizmos!)

Yes, you can use Shearwater Desktop to update the firmware of any Shearwater computer without necessarily having to download logs into the Desktop. Updating more than one is simply a matter of repeating the same procedure with as many computers as you wish.

Last edited:
Yes, you can use Shearwater Desktop to update the firmware of any Shearwater computer without necessarily having to download logs into the Desktop. .

Perfect!

Thanks again!

@Shearwater is there going to be a provision to be able to handle multiple profiles though? I.e. @Stoo and Mrs Stoo want to keep their logs separate but on the same computer? I know there isn't a provision for that, but is that coming with cloud desktop?

Hi,@tbone1004. The functionality that you are talking about is already in place on Shearwater Cloud. Different users can sign in with different cloud accounts on the same computer.

Cheers

:( Hard enough keeping track of my own usernames and passwords, now I need to have them (accounts) for wife and daughter...... Just like SubSurface..... Not thrilled.....

On my Imac I can do different users. Each user has their own apps/programs and signs in under their own screen name and password. Would this be a possible solution for you?

Alternatively update just before a trip and wait to download logs when you get home?

:( Hard enough keeping track of my own usernames and passwords, now I need to have them (accounts) for wife and daughter...... Just like SubSurface..... Not thrilled.....
I use an app for that. 1Password is on both Android and iOS. It uses Dropbox to sync between devices. I have no investment in this app, other than a satisfied Customer.

Reactions: vam
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom