More storms mid-March or May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calwolf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'll be leading a group of divers (university students, mostly) to Monterey sometime this year, and I'm trying to decide if it'd be better to go mid-March or early to mid May (our two most convenient times). We were there last year in May and while my divers weren't too put off, conditions were the worst there I've ever seen ("the windiest week in the last 15 years" a guy at the Hopkins Marine Station told us, and an incredulous "where do you think you're going?" from someone at Bamboo Reef when we got tanks filled). Anyway, we had a hard time finding divable sites, and I'm trying to avoid a trip with such bad dive conditions again. So, thinking about storm probabilities, which would you suggest, March or May? Right now I'm leaning towards March (our Spring Break), but I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would say you are more likely to encounter a large winter storm with signifcant swell in March vs. May. However you "may" (hehe) get more spring time wind in May. You never know though, as our last few weeks have been pretty epic right in the middle of winter.

Dan

i would say march would be your best bet!!.....better vis than it would be in may and also less tourist and such!! hope it works out for ya!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom