More squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any possibility of seeing these guys on a night dive at the break water? We'll be there tomorrow night.

I did a night dive at breakwater on Nov 3rd shortly after they started washing up and was on the look-out. enjoyable dive but no squid however. I was in the sand adjacent to the wall. If I was to try again I would head more towards the metridiums.

here is video I took from the dive. night dive bwater nov 2012 - YouTube

Some people are probably eating them, I know a grad student who beat the seagulls to one when they had freshly beached. He planned to make calamari with it. Usually though if you find one it's long gone and stinky. Probably not a good idea to eat it.

One article here says the majority that beached in the early days were frozen and shipped off to schools w/ necropsy directions from Stanford's Hopkins Marine Station. Other than that the number of beachings has been declining, so it wouldn't be cost effective on a business scale.

A friend of mine caught a few Humbolt Squid off the Bodega Coast a couple years ago, said you get a piece of meat the size of a door mat, and they taste okay if you put a few small slices in a blender to tenderize and make sort of a crab cake from the meat.

Back
Top Bottom