More restrictive inhale when face up with regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I managed to borrow a set of Atomic Aquatics Z3 for a dive trip in May. While diving at one of a boring dive site, I turn around and face up to make bubble ring. But I felt a significantly more difficult inhalation the moment I turned my self facing to the surface while diving.

Last week, I bought myself a set of Atomic Aquatics B2 + Z2 Octo. So I tried it out at a pool yesterday. Everything was good except when I face up, I felt that the breathing effort increases significantly.

*Both second stage regulators freeflow when the mouth piece faces up. But that is expected. Did some adjustment on the knob. Didn't feel any difference in breathing, but it did help abit in the freeflow.

Anyone notice the same thing about the increment in breathing when faces up? Any explanation on this?

if you can still breath, it's the expected behavior of any second stage regulator. This is owing to the second stage regulator principle of work.

It's working within its design limitations. It is what it is. You essentially have to breathe hard enough to pull the diaphragm against its natural tendency. Which way does the bubble want to go? Towards the surface right? You have to overcome the pressure of that bubble.

I don't have that problem with my 1978 conshelf XIV supreme regulators... And they don't free flow ... You need a better regulator or a better person working on them..

Jim...

I don't have that problem with my 1978 conshelf XIV supreme regulators... And they don't free flow ... You need a better regulator or a better person working on them..

Jim...

I realized when I use non balanced regulators from the Dive Center doesn't have so significant breathing issue.

When your regulator diaphragm is above your chest the water pressure on your chest is higher than is the pressure on the regulator diaphragm. This makes it harder to breathe. Each foot of sea water is about .43 lb of pressure.

When your regulator diaphragm is above your chest the water pressure on your chest is higher than is the pressure on the regulator diaphragm. This makes it harder to breathe. Each foot of sea water is about .43 lb of pressure.

I don't have that problem when I am at Vertical head up position.

Uh no, lol

Back
Top Bottom