More of looking for diveshop feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok thanks Paula. Always good to ask the source.

And you do have every right to choose your own operator.

Have a good trip...

Sorry but I'm not the poster, I just thought instead of all the speculation I would just ask Cristina. The person posting was Butch Fries.

Paul

We're heading to Cozumel later this summer and the dive shop we've booked with has told us our reservation may be transferred to Diving with Christina. I've heard some really bizarre things about that operation (for example, that when you surface from a dive you're not allowed to speak until you're back on the boat) and I'm wondering if I need to look elsewhere.

My question is this. If the OP had reservations with dive shop "A" why is dive shop "A" transfering the reservations to Dive with Christna? If "A" can not honor their reservations I would like to choose who I dive with not them. This is not a knock against Dive with Christna, but I believe I should have the choice of who I dive with.

this might be one of those half full or half empty things.
perhaps the original dive op resold the reservation and made a small profit.
however, knowing the mindset of the region, my guess is that the original op was unable to meet your needs this year and wanted to make sure that you had a reservation with someone s/he knew would give you a good experience. it goes without saying that you are under no obligation to stay with that op. nothing is to stop you from canceling and choosing another.

Actually the thing about not speaking came from someone who had just dived with her; I was wondering if it's a standing rule.

this might be one of those half full or half empty things.
perhaps the original dive op resold the reservation and made a small profit.
however, knowing the mindset of the region, my guess is that the original op was unable to meet your needs this year and wanted to make sure that you had a reservation with someone s/he knew would give you a good experience. it goes without saying that you are under no obligation to stay with that op. nothing is to stop you from canceling and choosing another.

Unless there is a non-refundable deposit that has been paid.

And it certainly seems as if Christina confirmed the rumor as her email was simply defending the rationale for such a rule. While it may indeed be a good idea for some divers in some situations, there are thousands of dive ops without such a rule that have an equally excellent safety track record. I really don't need a dive op inventing new standards and principles.

So I'm a new guy who's been lurking around here in anticipation of a trip down to Coz this Sunday, and I don't mean to be presumptuous, but: I learned in O/W that you should always have either your reg (preferably) or a snorkel in your mouth on the surface. I don't think this op created a new standard, they just enforce one that is more honored in the breach.

So I'm a new guy who's been lurking around here in anticipation of a trip down to Coz this Sunday, and I don't mean to be presumptuous, but: I learned in O/W that you should always have either your reg (preferably) or a snorkel in your mouth on the surface. I don't think this op created a new standard, they just enforce one that is more honored in the breach.
:thumb:

And if the situation warrants, that's what I'll do. But at the end of a dive on a calm day when my BC is full of air and I'm floating on my back at the surface, rule or no rule I'll be chatting away with my wife about how great that dive was (etc.) until the boat comes and gets us. Any op who doesn't approve is free to kick me down the road to the next op. And that rule, if it indeed exists, had better be clearly spelled out in the pre-dive paperwork.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom