More Florida Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem finding the diver is that he went way back into a cavity, splitting from his partner. Back there the sediment isn't stirred up much and "any" movement can cause vis to go to zero quickly. I was probably within inches of him and didn't "feel" him (the only way to find him there). He did drown and had air in his tank. I don't have all the info on it as I was a tourist, not from the area, and left the next morning for home (Michigan). I wasn't asked by anyone for my address or anything else. His buddy was really broken up about it as they were good friends. I think he probably had his regulator pulled from his mouth and couldn't find it again. The rental equipment only had the one regulator, no octopus. The area was also tight so that he had restricted movement. This happened about 6 years ago. Next time you are there ask about it.

One thing I did when my kids got certified was to retrain them about things I learned back in '72. I did some caving back then along with other diving when all you needed was a tank, backpack, weight belt, mask and flippers. I was high tech with a pressure gauge (for the time). I remember that year about 15 divers were lost in Blue Springs near Daytona from the "popcorn machine". I've not been there since diving way back then. I understand you now need full cave certification to dive it. Back then, all you needed was a c-card.

Jayne,
Just curious as to whether or not the regualtor hose was a standard length or a 7ft length hose. Was there a peice of surgical tubing around the mouthpeice? Why wasn't there an octo?

Looks to me like the diver wasn't the only one who was in error here. If I can very easily point a finger at the operators who failed to maintain control and failed to supply the proper rental gear for the dive, I'm sure other's can as well.

Yet another avoidable tragedy!
Mario :(

It was standard length and no octo. The dive is considered a cavern dive - ie no cave cert needed as long as you don't go into places you don't belong. I didn't think the rental equipment was right, having no octo, but the diver has to think for themselves too - especially when they dive for a living like this guy did.
I think a lot of us long time divers (almost 30 years) get lax sometimes. I know I do a lot of solo diving as I can't find a dive partner most of the time. I usually try to limit my depth, but sometimes have 12 hrs bottom time on a summer weekend by myself (hooka rig with full face). I do have a pony and/or spare air available however.
I know that sometimes I get a little peeved at rules thrown at you by "kids", but know that it's usually for the best. I guess that's why I've tended toward my hooka rig and free diving - they don't know much about that.

I skin dived discovery cove in florida/diney and it was Brilliant although swimming with the dolphins was rather brief but non the less i wouldnt have missed it for the world :)

Jayne,
I too know what it's like to get the urge to dive and not have anyone else want to go. Sometimes my urges come when everyone else is watching T.V. or about to go home and go to bed... usually between 10pm and 3am. At that hour it's difficult to motivate anyone to hop in 50 degree water. So, I too wind up doing lots of solo dives. I'd have to say that I rather enjoy a good solo dive, but mostly because I don't have to watch anyone, or worry about what they're upto every few seconds.

As for the shop's equipment: Yes ultimately it is the individual divers responsibility to choose whether or not to dive, but the shop should have that gear configuration available anyway. The cavern is obviously hairy in certain spots. From the sound of it, this most likely isn't the first fatality there, and unfortunately won't be the last either.

Mario :(

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom