More Female than Male Divers in Japan? T or F?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not really qutie sure what is meant by a Japanese female diver pov. Pink gear works for some people, but not others. It's definitely not a color that makes you look slender. Yes, the Mobby's wetsuit and mask are to be found in pink, but they don't amuse me nearly as much as a pink drysuit, Jet fins and BCD. I mean, a drysuit and Jet fins and your own BCD are suggestive of "serious" diving, so they seem much less suited for the color pink.

I think Bridgestone stopped making dive gear sometime last year. They had pretty decent BCDs and regulators and dive computers. I know quite a few people who have Bridgstone gear. No one has pink stuff, though.

Hi there,

Just wondering if there are any Japanese divers reading this forum and is of either (male or female) gender?

Avic7

Avic7:
Hi there,

Just wondering if there are any Japanese divers reading this forum and is of the female gender?

Avic7

Hello Avic7

This post was refered to me by Singapore Sara who is a student of mine in Phuket, Thailand. I have been a PADI Instructor for 13 years now and I have and have logged over 5,600 dives. We train a lot of Japanese divers here in Phuket and it seems that the figures are about 7 out of 10 are women.

I am not a member of the scuba board but I know Sara makes it a point of letting people know that I am the Japanese Instructor in the PADI Rescue Diver video and on the front cover of all of the manuals. You can reply to me at Sara's address or directly to my shop mail at megumi@phuket-scuba-diving.com

PS ... I took my Open Water Diver course out by you in Sydney B.C. on Vancouver Island in 1990.

Megumi Yoshikawa

Cool, nice to meet you Megumi san.

Avic

In Okinawa, Japan we tend to have a 4:1 ratio of Japanese female divers to men. Starting next month and on through October groups of female divers will make their annual migration to Okinawa, Japan for warm water diving. The water temp is 72F currently and getting warmer every day. There are literally 100's of dive shops on Okinawa, and most of the diver prefer boat diving out in the Kerama Islands. I have worked with quite a few female Japanese divemasters. They work well with taking the Japanese divers on tours but I usually have to assist them when setting the anchor. It is common in Japan to conduct Teken Diving or Discover Scuba. Tenken divers are uncertified and will pay $150 US to take a tour for 30 minutes. A Japanese Divemaster will have up to ten hanging on a broomstick and drag the Teken divers through the water. Many times the Teken divers are not even given fins. At Meada Point you can see this Teken diving taken to the next level and every 30 minutes there is a new group entering the water from 7AM to 5PM. You do the math. To say the least Diving is big business in Japan.

Was amused to see this thread resurrected... when I first saw the thread subject, I didn't remember that I had started it. I wish I had visited Okinawa on the several occasions I was invited to go there with my ex GF's father. He visits his family there every year or two and asked several times if I'd go with him.

Now I'm interested in diving cooler Japanese waters to see how some of the exotic introduced Asian algae and kelp function in their native habitats... and how many of our species have entered their waters.

Was amused to see this thread resurrected... when I first saw the thread subject, I didn't remember that I had started it. I wish I had visited Okinawa on the several occasions I was invited to go there with my ex GF's father. He visits his family there every year or two and asked several times if I'd go with him.

Now I'm interested in diving cooler Japanese waters to see how some of the exotic introduced Asian algae and kelp function in their native habitats... and how many of our species have entered their waters.

Dr Bill,

Japan should be of great interest in your Kelp studies in California. Oceans rotate clockwise. Just like the gulf stream comes out of the caribbean and warms the East Coast of the USA. In Japan the Kuroshio Current or Black current flows north to Okinawa, and Japan from the Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines, however the Pacific Ocean is four times bigger than the Atlantic. This is why Okinawan waters are so warm eventhough Okinawa is so far north (86F in the summer) The Pacific ocean continues to rotate clockwise and cools in Alaska and then comes down to California. I believe the kelp spawn in the water of Japan could make it to California.

This current also helps the migration of young beutiful Japanese nurse divers that come mainland Japan to Okinawa, to bath in our warm waters.

The Kuroshio (Japanese for "Black Tide") is a strong western boundary current in the western north Pacific Ocean. It begins off the east coast of Taiwan and flows northeastward past Japan, where it merges with the easterly drift of the North Pacific Current. It is analogous to the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic Ocean, transporting warm, tropical water northward towards the polar region. It's also sometimes known as the Black StreamÍÕhe English translation of kuroshio, and an allusion to the deep blue of its waterÍÂnd also as the Japan Current.

The path of Kuroshio south of Japan is reported every day.[1]

Its counterparts are the North Pacific Current to the north, the California Current to the east, and the North Equatorial Current to the south.

The warm waters of the Kuroshio Current sustain the coral reefs of Japan, the northernmost coral reefs in the world. The branch into the Sea of Japan is called Tsushima Current.

It boosts the fishing industry in Japan.

The Japan Current is also responsible for the mild weather experienced around Alaska's southern coast. Cited from Wikipedia

Of course I'm aware of the oceanic circulation there. Would be interesting if spores from kelp off Japan could make it this far. We can trace the introduction of Sargassum filicinum and Undaria pinnatifida to our waters off Catalina as a result of boat traffic.

Of course if I go to dive the cooler waters off northern Japan to look at kelp, I'll just have to warm up with a side trip to Okinawa afterwards!

Back
Top Bottom