More Female than Male Divers in Japan? T or F?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Bill,

Not only is it intersting that female divers out number male divers in Japan, according to many unofficial nose-count census, but many of these female divers are entering the proffesional ranks. For instance I dove Yonaguni and Iromote last summer. My female divemaster is now going through IDC and will be teaching near Tokyo. I have seen a greater number of female dive proffesionals in Japan vs the USA.

I wonder if the greater percentages of female divers to male divers in Japan has to do with the old Matriarchal society. The Ama free (pearl divers) from Japan were all female and dove up into their 70's. Could the large amount of female divers in Japan have to do with the popularity of the Ama divers. Next we will have to bring back the lioncloths.

Last edited:
Baracuda, that is true. The past 3 years I have seen 50% or more Japanese women taking the IDC course. I am thinking the guys are saying they don't have time to be a professional (they have a real job). In Tokyo anyway. But all these men and women here that become Instructors...where do they go after this? No lioncloths...just bunny ears.

While it is well known that I prefer Asian women, and would love to find a woman who would become my ultimate dive buddy, the question was posed with a sincere interest in what I deem an unusual sociological phenomenon.

Dr. Bill

THAT explains why you wanted me to bring over to Catalina many of my friends you see in my facebook pictures!!!!

THAT explains why you wanted me to bring over to Catalina many of my friends you see in my facebook pictures!!!!

Hey, Brian... you're catching on. Of course bring them even if they don't dive! Tee hee.

Dr Bill,

You mentioned the Ama Divers back in 2005. I did some research and you might be right, that this is why in the modern day we have more Japanese female divers that male divers. I have also wondered why the Japanese males were generally ef-feminate. This could be that most the strong patriarchal males died during WWII? Post war Japan had a baby boom just like the USA did but the elder women were calling the shots and not the men because there were not that many men around, and those who were around were to young or old to go to war or not strong enough to go to war. So is possible that old matriarchal society that has existed for thousands of years in sea side villages has re-emegerd? Check out this sight on women's history, Ama divers and the aquatic ape.

Mermaids are real!: Chapter Three - Women Divers

PS some female frontal nudity involved as the Ama divers were in there original uniforms

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom