More Expensive than I thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a brand new diver and new member of Scuba Board, I noticed that a majority of the posts involve travels to distant and exotic places. I thought I was knowledgeable in geography, but quite frankly some of these places divers travel to, I have never heard of. This observation and the price of equipment leads me to think that this is a rich man’s sport / activity.

So far I have spent $1,300.00 on equipment and I still need exposure protection, tank, knife, and weights. Where does it end?

Local diving and shore diving. Once you get all your equipment, all local shore dives are basically free (other than fuel for your vehicle). An air card should cost you about $160 a year for unlimited air. I shore dive all the time and once in a while, I go on a charter.

Equipment could go as low as $1000 (if you find good used deals) to a limitless amount, probably averaging around a couple thousand dollars.

It will end soon don't worry. What do you have for equipment now? Once you have all your equipment all diving costs is air fills and gas for the car. When I dive with my buddies we car pool so gas costs between $5 and $10 and air fills are $5 at our shop or $125 for a one year unlimited air club(this is what I do). So after you have all your equipment diving is relatively inexpensive. Also remember the most expensive gear is not always the best.

As for a cutting device (knife) I would recommend something like this.
EEZYCUT Trilobite Line Cutter - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

OR this

UTD Harness Dive Knife - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Wow I really need to learn to type faster, when I started typing I was the first post on this topic:depressed:

All up to you. When I started all my gear except my wtsuit was used, got a navy surplus compressor so diving was essentially free. now 30 years later I travel to places I didn't even know existed 30 years ago and spent more on a single strobe than I did buying everything when I started.

Like most hobbies - you can go minimal or all in.

Have fun.

Diving doesn't have to be expensive.
It's sort of similar to golf in that
it can get as costly as you allow it to.
Just wait 'til you decide to go Tech,
then you'll gain a whole new perspective.
Keep diving, Dive Safe.

You can't put a price on your sanity.

It ends wherever you want it to end.

Local diving does not get the same publicity but rest assured it's where many do most of their diving. No travel agent or budget required

If you make smart choices and resist fads your gear can be yours for a decade or more with regular use and good care.

If you don't need to push the envelope a drysuit is entirely optional where you live and points south.

Enjoy your dives and consider AOW and Rescue as time allows. Add nitrox if you plan dive intensive vacations.

2 cylinders are enough for most divers if logistics are reasonable. If you want more hold out for really good deals.

As far as essential gear goes you have passed the 1/2 way point.

Pete

Reactions: D_B
As a brand new diver and new member of Scuba Board, I noticed that a majority of the posts involve travels to distant and exotic places. I thought I was knowledgeable in geography, but quite frankly some of these places divers travel to, I have never heard of. This observation and the price of equipment leads me to think that this is a rich man’s sport / activity.

So far I have spent $1,300.00 on equipment and I still need exposure protection, tank, knife, and weights. Where does it end?

When you give up diving or die, whichever comes first.

If I calculated all I've spent on diving Im sure it would be more than a deposit on a house, but I don't regret any of it, for me diving and all that goes with it is one of the main things that makes my life more enjoyable

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Owning tanks is nice but not absolutely necessary, there Ive just saved you a few hundred dollars:wink:

Back
Top Bottom