Moral of the Story - Bring the right equipment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See people think I am nuts for wanting to carry one of these in a water tight case. I think I am going to go buy one for my self for Christmas today.

http://www.acrterrafix.com/

*Floater*:
A signaling mirror might also have been handy.
Yep, very small, easy to carry. Got one of those, too. :wink:

Per their ad; $675.00 - a $75.00 rebate.

I agree that having he right equipment is important, but what strikes me in the situation is that the diver kept his head level. By not panicking he was able to work through the problems, thus improving his survival odds immeasurably. The best equipment any of us have is our brain. Glad to hear this person dove two days later.

Great story, but what about his buddy? When did the buddy notice him missing? What about the missing buddy routine of 1 minute wait, then surface and search? I am not pointing fingers cause I am often one of those "same ocean" buddy teams, but this is a reminder to all of us of the risk we take when we "solo"...

Wayfarer2:
See people think I am nuts for wanting to carry one of these in a water tight case. I think I am going to go buy one for my self for Christmas today.

http://www.acrterrafix.com/
If you look for deals, you can find them cheaper than $675. And www.plbrentals.com rents them pretty cheap. Check out the consumer boat, outdoor and air shows. There are three products, the AeroFix, AquaFix and TerraFix. Spend the extra $$ and get the model with the GPS I/O. It sends GPS info out with the first burst, saving valuable minutes in a rescue situation.

Would a "Garmin Rino 530 GPS Radio" work just as good? You can send out a distress signal and also talk to someone with the walkie talkie feature which signals up to 14 miles in the USA. Other countries have lower signal distances I believe.

The only problem is I think its water proof and submersible only down to like 3 meters deep. If someone would make a water tight housing/case for it like they make for cameras, then buying a Garmin would be the way to go. I have been looking for a company who makes a housing case for the Garmin Rino 530 GPS but have not found one yet.

I can not believe that people actually worry about the cost of SAFETY equipment? There should never be a max amount spent on safety. Its like the guys who try to find the cheapest less expensive motorcycle helmet they can find. When it comes to your head there is nothing too expensive to protect it. Same with safety equipment for diving.

Im sure a strong current like that is possible, I heard rumors that when the Tsunami hit, there were a lot of scuba divers that were missing, supposedly the strong current or surge dragged them far out to sea that morning.

Has anyone else heard that rumor? or is it true?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom