Moon Shadows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went on my first night dive last night, along with several SBers, at Vortex spring here in Florida. I played with the camera on land and in the water and had marginal success but a lot of fun. The following pics were taken at the end of the dive as I was the last person in the pond. I stopped at about 12' and looked up to see a flickering light - it took me a minute to figure out that it was the moon. It was being beautifully disfigured by the ripples on the surface - these pictures don't do the moment justice but can give an idea of what I'm talking about. The stats are: RAW format, ISO 64, F 2.6, varying shutter speeds from 1/1.6 to 4 seconds, all cropped. I sat on the bottom but holding still was hard to do and the limited zoom on the 5050 didn't allow me to fill the frame - I've got lots of room to improve but now I have a project for a far off day when I get that fancy professional camera :D.

One of my all time favorite diving memories is seeing the full moon through the Pothole opening at Peacock. I like your pictures, thanks for posting them

I think SuPrBuGmAn has a tripod he's going to do some experiments with - maybe I'll get in on the experiment too. It was fun looking at the moonbeams even if I never get the picture perfect.

SeaYoda:
I think SuPrBuGmAn has a tripod he's going to do some experiments with - maybe I'll get in on the experiment too. It was fun looking at the moonbeams even if I never get the picture perfect.

I had some success with the tripod. The one I used costed $10 and I think I should've sprung another $10 for a tripod that was a bit more user-friendly.

I had it in the Bronco of Doom over the weekend, it sits back there all the time so next time we dive just remind me :D

Hey SuPrBuGmAn,
If you are still reading this thread, did you take the weight off the housing when you attached the tripod, and if so, how did you keep the whole thing still and attached to the floor?

SeaYoda:
Hey SuPrBuGmAn,
If you are still reading this thread, did you take the weight off the housing when you attached the tripod, and if so, how did you keep the whole thing still and attached to the floor?

I took the weight off the housing, but wired a softweight to the bottom of the tripod. It looks god-aweful rigged, but it works :)

I'll have to give it a try on another night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom