Month of January, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oslob is a lot easier to get to from Manila or Clark(Angeles). Contact operators in Moalboal for their whaleshark trip to Oslob. Flight to Cebu City and bus to Moalboal.

Diving in Southern Leyte is top notch.

To call Pinoy's politicians short sighted is a compliment, they are blinded.

Last edited:
I'm back in the US. I managed to travel a bit with a non-diver while there. Flew into Cebu, took the bus to Oslob and snorkeled with the whale sharks there. Ferried to Bohol, flew back to Clark. Went to Subic Bay Olongapo several times.

The Oslob whale sharks were a rather unremarkable experience. tourists board one of perhaps 20 double outrigger canoes, each manned by two staff. It was rowed out a short and easily swam distance in calm water and formed a semicircle with the others, while three or four canoes were each dedicated to constantly feeding a single baby whale shark, leading it back and forth in front of the tourist canoes with it's mouth constantly at the surface, sucking in food. Each tourist canoe remained for a half hour and then returned to shore. I had read that "They are feeding them," which I assumed meant they were providing supplemental food en masse in the area to keep them around. I had no idea it was going to be witnessing part of a seven hour feeding session of each individual animal. I don't know the environmental impact of what I saw, but I don't imagine it was something that I should be proud of having participated in.

The good news is that I had an amazing time in the Philippines and will very likely be moving there for a while. Perhaps I can plan something a bit more interesting in advance of the next trip.

Thank you for such a vivid description of why the Oslob experience is sub-optimal.

From what I read and discussed with local DM on Bohol or Cebu, Oslob feeding should really go under Marine Life protection ban... unfortunately Philippines are not there yet.

Next time, if you want to dive with whale sharks, I recommend you scuba dive with whalesharks (and manta rays) at Manta Bowl in Ticao Pass. Located two hours by boat from Donsol or about 30 mins from Ticao Is. Season is Dec to May. Donsol is a location to snorkel with the whale sharks which are not provisioned as at Oslob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom