Monterey Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck Tribolet

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Originally posted by George Spalding on ba_diving:

George Spalding on ba_diving@yahoogroups:
The following link will take you to my true 1st hand
involvement in responding to a strangers dive
accident. The account is long, it is not
pretty, and it is horribly tragic regardless of the
final outcome (which I do not know).

My purpose in posting it to this list is that if one
person is inspired (or scared) into taking/renewing
their CPR certification or dive Rescue class
then my personal anquish resulting from this event
will be worth it.

There is absolutely no excuse for not taking the steps
to potentially save the life or your friend or family
member.

http://guerosd.wordpress.com/2006/08/02/incident/

July 30th?

I think this incident took place on July 30th. At least, that's what it says on the blog. Also, I think the author of the blog is Todd Preece.

from Divester:

Man dies in scuba diving accident at Point Lobos Reserve in Monterey

Posted Aug 3rd 2006 5:38PM by Bill Reals

ptlobos.jpg
A diver passed away this last weekend after becoming entangled in kelp, and pulled to shore by lifeguards and other divers, at Point Lobos Reserve in Monterey, California.

There is no cause of death at this point, but one of my dive partners was actually one of the divers who pulled him from the water, and preformed CPR on him until fire/rescue crews arrived.

He's given a first hand account on what it's like to perform CPR on an individual and dealing with the emotional aftermath of trying to save a man's life.

We read about these accidents, feel for the families but I'm sure that we never think about the emotional impact to the people who try and save them. While fire, law and lifeguards have grief councelors, to help them deal with these issue, it's not something that is covered in any First Aid or CPR course. Maybe it should be.

I don't have any more information for you, it's not in the paper, but it's been confirmed by calling the authorities at the reserve and confirming the status. My thoughts go out to the family of the man and to my friend for sharing his thoughts on the incident.

Sad. I read the first hand report the day after it happened and was scanning the local papers for some info, hoping for a positive outcome. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

Condolences to the family and especially the son.

Edit: I think this happened on July 31. I was there, albeit from a boat, on July 30 and saw nothing unusual in the parking lot.

dannobee:
Edit: I think this happened on July 31. I was there, albeit from a boat, on July 30 and saw nothing unusual in the parking lot.

The original blog posting said July 30. It was later updated to July 31.

Also, if anyone knows the name of the victim, please contact me offline. I keep a
private file of major dive accidents in Northern California, and I'd like it for the sake
of completeness.

Here is the article from the Carmel Pine Cone:

http://www.carmelpinecone.com/060811-6.html

Santa Cruz man drowns in Pt. Lobos dive with teenage son

By MARY BROWNFIELD

Published: August 11, 2006

DESPITE BEING pulled from the waters off Point Lobos within minutes of losing consciousness, 52-year-old Ben Lomond resident Robert Furber died last Monday afternoon after a scuba diving expedition. Furber was exploring Whalers Cove with his 15-year-old son during the boy’s first dive in open water.

Eric Sturm, a California State Parks lifeguard for 27 years, had just finished patrolling and was standing wet-suited next to his boat when a passerby asked if he’d heard someone cry out.

“I saw a diver holding another one who was motionless waving his arm and yelling for help,” Sturm said. He immediately summoned two civilian divers who were in the parking lot and launched the rescue boat to reach the pair about 100 yards out in Whalers Cove.

“It turned out to be a father-and-son team, and it was the father who was motionless,” Sturm said. They pulled the unconscious, pulseless man into the boat, and the lifeguard asked the boy if he could wait in the water while Furber received care, “and he said, ‘Yes, I’m fine. Go!’”

Sturm had already radioed for fire and ambulance, and his lifeguard partner, Erik Landry, had just left Point Lobos but made a U-turn to rush back with his medical supplies, including an automated external defibrillator.

They went to work administering CPR after the AED advised them not to shock. (An AED reads heart rhythms to determine whether shock is needed to restore a normal beat.)

Carmel Highlands firefighters and a Carmel Regional Fire Ambulance crew arrived and took over, loading and transporting Furber to Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula.

Meanwhile, Sturm retrieved the teenager, who told him what happened.

“They went down to 40 feet, and then his dad signaled him he was having a problem and motioned with his thumb, ‘Let’s go up,’” Sturm said.

A few feet below the surface and under a layer of kelp, his swimming father went suddenly still. The boy pulled his dad’s head above the surface, inflated his buoyancy apparatus and yelled for help.

“That’s right when we saw him,” said Sturm, who marveled at the boy’s presence of mind and apparent calm.

“He had just been trained and certified, and he had the wherewithal in his first ocean dive ever to get his dad to the surface, call for help, and stay calm and collected during the event,” Sturm said. “He displayed unusual maturity and responsibility.”

Despite receiving almost immediate medical care, Furber was pronounced dead at the hospital. Monterey County Coroner’s Detective Ruben Garcia, who is investigating the cause of death, said he is awaiting toxicology results. Sturm said the sheriff’s office also took custody of Furber’s diving gear as is customary following a diving accident.

Very sad story,

Dave J.

This incident was previously discussed in http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=153331

And an attaboy/attagirl (as appropriate) to you, Redbone, for digging this out of the Pine Cone. While they've
won some interesting awards they are still a small town weekly paper. I didn't even think to look there (and one of the
two owners, Kirstie Wilde, was a college classmate of mine).

Really tragic story, my condolences and sympathy to the family of the man who died, and to his son. It sounds like the son did an outstanding job helping his father in a terribly difficult situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom