Monterey dive conditions next week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the nerve

Reaction score
Hi there folks... I'm new to the forums. I'll be getting my AOW in Lake Tahoe and Monterey in the next 2 weeks. On the 13th I'll be doing a deep dive at Monestery and a night dive at Breakwater. How are the conditions at this time of year? How warm is the water? Vis? Wildlife? Any information would be nice.

Oh yeah, what are my chances of seeing sea lions, seals, or leopard sharks at these two dive sites?

Thanks,
Andy

I had water temp of 54F last weekend with vis in the 15-20 foot range at times, less at other times..

This coming weekend, the forecast is

FRI THROUGH SAT
W WINDS 5 TO 10 KT DECREASING DURING THE OVERNIGHT
HOURS. WIND WAVES 1 TO 2 FT. W SWELL 2 TO 4 FT.
AREAS OF NIGHT AND MORNING FOG.

SUN AND MON
W WINDS 5 TO 15 KT...EXCEPT NW 10 TO 15 KT EACH
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 2 TO 4 FT.

Seals and sea lions (unless I have it wrong on which are which) are possible at both Monterey sites, but more likely at Breakwater (IMHO). I'm not sure what the Breakwater mammals do for shelter at night, and don't know if they are there for night dives. (I can tell you Saturday, since I'll be doing a night dive there this coming weekend, depending on conditions.)

Are you new to Santa Cruz? Sounds like you've never dived Monterey perhaps. Where ya from? If you are diving Tahoe, you probably dive dry, right?

--Sean

Thanks for the info, looks like typical Monterey conditions I guess.

I've dove both sites before actually, for my OW certification. However I didn't see much cause we barely went anywhere, the vis was crap, we dropped down 30 feet or so and only did tests and excercises. Also that was during March.

I've heard sea lions like to hunt at night, but I don't know if Breakwater has enough fish for them to stick around long. That would be a bit startling and cool to see one at night. I also ask about leopard sharks because I heard their spawning season is in October. It's not October yet but its getting close.

I'm not diving dry in Tahoe, I'm just gonna get a wetsuit. No idea how cold it is up there. I'm doing my underwater navigation and peak performance buoyancy dives there.

I've been living in Santa Cruz for about a year, going to school there at UCSC. Right now I'm living in Pleasanton with my folks but I've moving back to Santa Cruz the day after my Monterey dives.

I want to go back to Catalina island, I love diving there. It's like Monterey except a whole lot warmer.

when you can get a chance to dive in Monterey away from the busy beaches you will find a lot more to see. When I was certified, we dove at Lover's #3 and #1. The water was shallow, and with a class full of newbies the crud gotted kicked up and the vis went to sh*t in no time. It was hard to see beyond 8 feet. We performed our skills and then moved on. [NOTE: We were warned that it would feel really cold because you just hang out waiting for your turn on the skills. It did.]

On subsequent dives, we have seen a lot of cool stuff all over. (I still have trouble spotting the camoflauged crabs) There are a number of places to dive in and around Monterey that are really nice without being difficult for a beginner.

Temps at this time of year have been in the low 50's to mid 50's in my experiences. It gets a little colder as you move further south from Monterey towards Carmel / Pt Lobos but the diving down there is great. Of course it also gets a little colder as you go deeper.

The Seals tend to stay away from divers but the sea lions, especially the juveniles like to check out divers. Be aware that some of them quickly learn that they get a big reaction from divers when they do any of the following:

>Swim directly at you and veer away at the last second
>Blow bubbles in your face
>Nibble / grab at your fins.

Not a problem usually, but I saw a guy on the Monterey Express that freaked out and did a rapid ascent from 60+ feet after a close encounter with a sea lion. (no harm to either, but no second dive for the 2-legger!)

I have never seen any leopard sharks in the Monterey Bay area, but that doesn't mean much.

When we dove Lake Tahoe on August 2 the surface temp was about 69 and it was about 65 degrees at 44 feet at Sand Harbor. Tahoe can get cold down deep, but if you are taking instruction at Tahoe, it is highly likely that it will be at Sand Harbor.

Hope this helps. My dos centavos, but only because you asked.

Wristshot

Dive conditions -
Friday:
LIGHT WINDS...BECOMING WEST 5 TO 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.
W SWELL 1 TO 3 FT AT 9 SECONDS.

Friday Night & Saturday
LIGHT WINDS...BECOMING WEST 5 TO 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON
WIND WAVES 1 TO 2 FT.
W SWELL 1 TO 3 FT.

Sunday:
W WINDS 10 KT...BECOMING NW & INCREASING TO 10 TO 20 KT LATE
WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT.

Tides for Monterey Bay
2003-09-05 01:24 PDT -0.14 feet Low Tide
2003-09-05 08:32 PDT 3.86 feet High Tide

2003-09-05 12:30 PDT 3.11 feet Low Tide
2003-09-05 18:44 PDT 5.84 feet High Tide

2003-09-06 02:22 PDT -0.38 feet Low Tide
2003-09-06 09:21 PDT 4.10 feet High Tide

2003-09-06 13:44 PDT 2.93 feet Low Tide
2003-09-06 19:47 PDT 5.94 feet High Tide

2003-09-07 03:12 PDT -0.50 feet Low Tide
2003-09-07 09:59 PDT 4.31 feet High Tide

2003-09-07 14:43 PDT 2.64 feet Low Tide
2003-09-07 20:43 PDT 6.00 feet High Tide
Summary

Monterey has been having some algae blooms and these might continue into
this weekend. May expect poorer vis near the surface. Carmel may provide the
best opportunities. Mild W swells are predicted all weekend. Waves of 1-3 ft
are expected in the Central Bay and Carmel through Sunday (3-5 ft in the
less sheltered Carmel areas). Overall, it has been pretty flat and this
should hold. Expect 15-20 ft of visibility in the Bay opening out to 25 ft
once you get below 60 ft. Carmel and Lobos should be 25-30 ft (reports here
are mixed and sketchy on Thurs afternoon) once you get below the Algae
Bloom. Late Thurs pm inside Lobos 30+ ft, outside Lobos (boat) 60+. Algae
blooms in Carmel diminishing. The water temps are ~ 54 Deg. F. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info guys... I hope I get to see some sea lions!

And yes, I'm doing my Tahoe dives at D.L. Bliss and Sand Harbor.

An interesting note for diving at Lake Tahoe. If you are diving on the Nevada side of the lake, if you go out past the bouys, then you are required by law to have a dive float/flag whatever. There is no such requirement for the California side. (D.L. Bliss is on the California side, Sand Harbor is on the Nevada side.)

Since you will be "training" your instructor will probably have a dive float (or s/he will keep you inside the bouys)

So nerve, I am interested in hearing your results at D.L. Bliss, so please post or PM me after you dive there. We did Sand Harbor just for the halibut (pun intended) but my buddy wimped out on Rincon Wall the next day.

Wristshot

You will almost definitely see sea lions at the Breakwater if you swim out far enough. Doing a long surface swim at the beginning of the dive is beneficial in terms of how far out along the Breakwater you can get. The further out you get, the more encounters you will have. Sea lions will often actively seek you out if they see your bubbles - so hang around at around 40', and if you can hear them up on the surface (you can hear them barking even at that depth), more likely than not a couple will come down for a play.

Harbour seals are more shy, and will not normally seek out diver contact. I've seen them at Monastery Beach South. They tend to give you the once over, and keep a wary eye on you.

Leopard sharks - I've only seen them in Carmel at Pebble Beach, but there's quite a few sites I didn't get to do in Monterey that might hold them (like Pt Lobos).

How many dives do you have, and what are your surf entry/exit skills like? Monastery Beach (both north and south - north is the deep end) can be very unforgiving - there was a near-drowning there only a few months back (resulted in ongoing coma according to the last reports) that occured on exit - you will *almost always* have to crawl out on hands and knees to avoid being knocked down in the surf. No shame in it - might look funny, but it's the intelligent thing to do. The beach bottom curves upwards where the waves break in most places, and the difference between being chest deep, and high and dry, is sometimes only a few feet - so put your reg in your mouth, deflate your BC, and CRAWL out of the surf until you're up past the waves - even if they look small they will still knock you on your butt at the end of a long deep dive when you're wearing all that gear. Play it safe, and treat it like climbing back into a boat - keep your reg in your mouth until you're out.

The actual deep dive itself is not the danger, but be aware that you may encounter narcosis - just plan your max depth before your dive, and stick to it! I get narc'd on this site, and I had a buddy try to encourage me beyond 120' at this site, even though we'd agreed to that as a hard and fast limit. He was narc'd, and just wanted to go "a little deeper".

Keep an eye out under the big boulders on the slope - lots of big ling cod hang out there. Spend lots of time shallow to offgas your deep dive - check out the kelp bed on the way back in, there's some interesting stuff in there. Here's a profile of my last dive there in early August (we swam out almost to the washrock, dropped down to 100', worked our way back up the slope, then spent time in the kelp). Super dive.

Well the Tahoe dives were OK. At least the water was nice and warm (60 degrees or so) until you hit the thermocline. D.L. Bliss wasn't too much different than Sand Harbor. A lot of sand, boulders, and crawdads. There is more to see at the surface of the lake then there is underwater! We were supposed to go to an underwater wall that was about 600 feet deep, but I never made it that far cause my buddy had trouble equalizing and I stayed behind with him.

Sand Harbor was alright too. We spent most of the time doing peak performance buoyancy there, which is nice cause there isn't much to see, so you might as well practice your scuba skills.

I'm looking forward to Monterey on Saturday, as there will be far more to see. We will be doing the breakwater dive at night, so hopefully I'll be able to see the sea lions. If not, I'll come back another day to seek them out. I've seen hundreds of sea lions living near San Francisco and Monterey bay, but I've never seen one underwater. Should be pretty cool.

Scubaroo once bubbled...

How many dives do you have, and what are your surf entry/exit skills like? Monastery Beach (both north and south - north is the deep end) can be very unforgiving - there was a near-drowning there only a few months back (resulted in ongoing coma according to the last reports) that occured on exit - you will *almost always* have to crawl out on hands and knees to avoid being knocked down in the surf. No shame in it - might look funny, but it's the intelligent thing to do. The beach bottom curves upwards where the waves break in most places, and the difference between being chest deep, and high and dry, is sometimes only a few feet - so put your reg in your mouth, deflate your BC, and CRAWL out of the surf until you're up past the waves - even if they look small they will still knock you on your butt at the end of a long deep dive when you're wearing all that gear. Play it safe, and treat it like climbing back into a boat - keep your reg in your mouth until you're out.

Thanks for the info. I have done two dives at that site during a relatively rough day. Entries and exits weren't too bad (I crawled on my hands and knees as you said) but the underwater surge got to me. I puked as soon as I surfaced, lol. Even so it was a cool dive and I'll be looking forward to doing a deep dive there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom