Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared up a Torpedo ray, when I anchored my glove in the sand; good-sized and no sting . . .
For a species that, presumably, does not have to worry much about predators, they are camouflaged really well. The instructor on my Deep adventure dive thought he was kneeling on an expanse of featureless grey rocks, but there was a torpedo ray beneath him! Luckily it swam off without incident, like yours. Thanks for the report!

Two Dives at Breakwater today. Water was up to the steps at times but not very rough. 30ft vis +/-. Did the wall and then middle kelp area. Blue water. Very nice dives. Water temp was 54. It was warmer in the water than out.

Anyone on the coast see any sign of tsunami advisory?
Yes we saw essentially a really low then really high then really low then really tide happen between 7 to 8am By 9am city police and lifeguards showed up and put crime scene tape around all the entrances to San Carlos Beach and then CERT showed up around noon to patrol it. Del Monte Beach is also cordoned off as are the beach entrances along Del Monte Blvd. Monterey police told me that Pacific Grove is also closing all their beaches today. CERT guy told me Sand Dab Restaurant was floodded during the big swells. Beaches are likely to be closed through 5:00 p.m. according to CERT.

Attachments

• 20220115_102859.jpg
    20220115_102859.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220115_091930.jpg
    20220115_091930.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220115_085739.jpg
    20220115_085739.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220115_115940.jpg
    20220115_115940.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220115_141110.jpg
    20220115_141110.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 50
While not specifically in Monterey, my hometown of Santa Cruz, forty minutes away, on HWY-1, certainly felt the brunt. The Santa Cruz Harbor, as well as Capitola, experienced some flooding . . .

Went for an urchin culling dive at Tanker's Reef today! A few waves but very calm at 8:30, kicked up a tiny bit with some wind but otherwise excellent conditions. Current was running in a southwesterly direction, barely any surge. Visibility was a solid 5 meters, which is quite good. I talked to some divers at Breakwater and they were reporting 10+ meters. Water temperature was 13C. 12.6 meters, 59 minutes, and 400 urcfhins! Saw a fist-sized red octopus.

Amazing conditions at Pt Lobos today!! Underwater and topside.

At least 40-50ft viz once we got near and past HITW - we spent most of our time around Sea Mount and then Middle Reef. A couple of harbor seals and an inquisitive sea lion buzzed us a few times.
-> 85ft max, 2hr 4min, 53F

Sunny and high 60s on the surface. Lunch was in shorts and flip-flops.

The Whaler's Cove ramp is becoming harder and harder to traverse with the 2 craters getting bigger and some new ones developing :(

Stillwater Cove was not too much of an option this morning; looked like someone flushed the toilet bowl-shaped site; so too Monastery Beach.

The winner today was Monterey, at Cannery Row: San Carlos Beach -- ten meters of visibility, at 12˚ C. The swell seems to be on its way out.

Cormorants everywhere -- watched one ascend for a breath, from ten meters or more; perfectly visible, along the way, even the cascades of bubbles emerging from its feathers, during the ascent. Saw it kicking around at the surface, and watched it as it returned to the very spot, where I had last seen it feeding.

Also, a Torpedo ray in the shallows and a ballistic sausage of a harbor seal, who was very sociable and grabbed at my red fins.

Not the worst seventy minutes that I've spent, in a 7 mm gimp suit . . .

Back
Top Bottom