Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attempted to go diving on saturday, oct 2.
point lobos.

swell was on the cusp of being a no-go but a bunch of us packed up the gear and met at the gate.
Inside, the cove looked OK. We walked up the hill to take a better look.
it was not promising. And as we watched, it just got worse. Even the pinnipeds didn't look like they were having fun as they swam near the rocks.
A few suited up. A couple of us decided a polar plunge would be an easier way to check vis.
It was not good.
Those that suited up went out. And after swimming out, they went down. And after going down, they came back up. And after coming back up, they called the dive.

Water: wet and cold and churning
Vis: braille

Then we put on our hiking shoes and went for a walk before burgers and shakes and beers.

Gorgeous day but not a good week of diving for me. 4 days in Monterey/Carmel and no dives completed.
IMG_20211002_082624__01.jpg
IMG_20211002_083349.jpg
IMG_20211002_084354.jpg
IMG_20211002_085718.jpg
IMG_20211002_090450.jpg
IMG_20211002_091146.jpg

GOPR2516.JPG

Bummer. Funny that it's worth a cold shock to save getting geared up and all that rinsing, I would have made the same call.

North Monastery was a bit of a spin cycle, upon exiting, this morning (4 October), with 2 meter + waves and a decent swell and surge. It was an express-ride out; didn't do much in the way of swimming.

Gravel in the hair and just about everywhere else.

Went out between sets, just after ten; saw little to nothing close to shore, full minestrone conditions; opened to about four-to-five meters, by the splash rock; maxed at about 20 meters of depth -- really, no sense going further; lots of fish silhouettes; and it was like diving at dusk . . .

Happy to hear my decision to not bother driving all the way there was backed up with conditions that met my expectations.

I would love to have a thread with constant update to Monterey conditions.
Let's try to keep this one going for a while. Post your dive site, temp, and vis report.
Doesn't need to be to detailed. Just so some of us can check local conditions so if we want to make a quick trip down, we know how things are. It would also be nice to know when conditions are epic so we can all play hooky and go diving.
There is a great webcam of San Carlos Beach at https://adventure

Two dives -- one in Carmel and another in Monterey.

North Monastery Beach had the usual warnings, with the toothed cartoon wave attacking a beachgoer, with about 2 meters of visibility, if that. There was quite a swell and plenty of foam.

San Carlos Beach was much the same, though a bit darker; and the poor water quality warning signs are still there; but fifty bucks says no one did any testing whatsoever -- and they are simply placed with that same habit that has city lackeys mounting Christmas wreaths on lampposts in mid-November.

Just the season.

Scared up a Torpedo ray, when I anchored my glove in the sand, during the surge; good-sized one too, but no stinging to report . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom