Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was out yesterday, at North Monastery, with about 3-4 meters of visibility, near the splash rock; far murkier near shore; and the Monterey side, at Lover's Point and the Breakwater, has been experiencing a minor plankton bloom -- not enough to completely eliminate visibility, at about 2-3 meters, though noticeably darker than Carmel, at least, until sun broke through, around eleven.

The forecast for only a minor swell over the weekend, outside of the bay, about 1.8 meter (6 feet); a bit smaller in Monterey . . .

I looked at North Monastery yesterday and decided it didn't look too great from shore. I'm glad I made the right choice. Breakwater at noon had 10ish foot vis with spots of better and worse. Best vis was when you got below the greenish layer around 35-40ft deep. Did two dives and second dive vis was deteriorating even below 35 feet. I'd be interested in seeing how conditions were today because I agree with BB about the plankton bloom. I did see a Chromodoris which was nice.

I looked at North Monastery yesterday and decided it didn't look too great from shore. I'm glad I made the right choice. Breakwater at noon had 10ish foot vis with spots of better and worse. Best vis was when you got below the greenish layer around 35-40ft deep. Did two dives and second dive vis was deteriorating even below 35 feet. I'd be interested in seeing how conditions were today because I agree with BB about the plankton bloom. I did see a Chromodoris which was nice.
Today was pretty bad, 5’ viz for the most part (BW) did one and went home.

Dove Breakwater Cove on Monday (9/6/21). First dive at 0730. Began at the south end of the beach and worked through the kelp forests to the north. Decent visibility of between 10' and 15' (Hey, its better than my 2x a week dives in the American River when my dive buddy and I are cleaning up trash and treasure hunting.). Saw the largest Halibut I've ever seen (over 4 feet long) and LOTS of sea life. 2nd Dive at 0930. To date, this was the best dive I have experienced at Breakwater Cove. Started on the North edge of the kelp, working south to the pipeline. Vis was the same as dive 1 to begin, but when we hit 27' it opened up to 60'!!!! The reef off the pipeline was incredible. Teeming with life and didn't have the need for my dive light. we spent a solid 30 minutes on the reef itself looking at everything and enjoying the spectacular vis. Ended the dive at 77 minutes, surfaced and swam back to the beach. Ate lunch and returned in the early afternoon to contemplate a third dive. Red Algae had rolled in and the vis was nonexistent according to a few divers in the lot who just got out. We passed and just enjoyed the good luck and fortune we had. Be safe everyone!

Dove Breakwater Cove on Monday (9/6/21). First dive at 0730. Began at the south end of the beach and worked through the kelp forests to the north. Decent visibility of between 10' and 15' (Hey, its better than my 2x a week dives in the American River when my dive buddy and I are cleaning up trash and treasure hunting.). Saw the largest Halibut I've ever seen (over 4 feet long) and LOTS of sea life. 2nd Dive at 0930. To date, this was the best dive I have experienced at Breakwater Cove. Started on the North edge of the kelp, working south to the pipeline. Vis was the same as dive 1 to begin, but when we hit 27' it opened up to 60'!!!! The reef off the pipeline was incredible. Teeming with life and didn't have the need for my dive light. we spent a solid 30 minutes on the reef itself looking at everything and enjoying the spectacular vis. Ended the dive at 77 minutes, surfaced and swam back to the beach. Ate lunch and returned in the early afternoon to contemplate a third dive. Red Algae had rolled in and the vis was nonexistent according to a few divers in the lot who just got out. We passed and just enjoyed the good luck and fortune we had. Be safe everyone!
Wow, talk about hitting your window!

It was EPIC!!!

We also heard reports from Sunday off the wall at the end of the jetty they were getting 100' of vis at 35 to 40 feet deep.

Little bit late on the response, but I did my first (of three dives that weekend) at Monastery on July 24th and 25th. It was my first time diving there and I went with a guide. Vis was easily 50-60 feet. My guide said it was one of the best days he had ever seen there. First two dives were on the north side and third was on the south side. The swell was pretty calm, but still a bit challenging getting out. All in all it was an awesome time!

It wasn't til later on that I found out its called "Mortuary Beach" by the locals. Yikes!

Glad you got to dive one of the best shore dives around here. It is only Mortuary Beach if you disrespect it on a big day. I personally don't like when people say Mortuary Beach. It wont be if you use your head and chose your day wisely.

Glad you got to dive one of the best shore dives around here. It is only Mortuary Beach if you disrespect it on a big day. I personally don't like when people say Mortuary Beach. It wont be if you use your head and chose your day wisely.
I do not like the name Mortuary Beach either. Monastery on a calm day is a very relaxing dive, very minimal surface swimming unless you like long surface swims.

Most of the folks who die at Monastery aren't divers, they are waders who get pulled unaware into the small but powerful surf zone. I feel the "Mortuary Beach" descriptor doesn't necessarily refer to the diving.

Always respect the ocean, but I feel comfortable knowing that I wont drown as long as I keep my reg in my mouth. Tossed around, knocked down maybe, but still breathing air. It'd be a different story if I didnt have a reg in my mouth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom