Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove off the Sanctuary today. First dive was on the Carmel side (Fan shell cove?) and was great. Viz 50+, very cold 48ish, with lots of life. Lots of juveniles - none of the diving type. Second dive was Aumentos on the Bay side. viz 30', very green, dropped onto a bed of Metridiums. Lingcods and Juvies. 3Ddiver you missed a great trip. Lots of swell on the Carmel side, and fairly calm on the Bay side.

Did three dives off the Silver Prince yesterday. Best one was Half Dome just off of Point Lobos, with ~60 feet visibility, and the biggest juvenile and adult rock fish schools I've seen on my occasional visits to Monterey. Water temp was about 50 F. Bit of a swell for all-day rocking on the boat, but great day to be out there!

Dove Breakwater on Sunday, 7/21/13. Great conditions, no surge or swells and less than 1ft chop on top. Viz was ~15ft or so that seemed to decrease as you got closer to the wall. Temp varied but averaged 54F at 35ft - 40ft. Overall, worth the drive!

Dove at Breakwater. Sorry Jak I did not see your mask. I did find a weight belt though. Metridium side had 10ft or less vis. I did not go out to Medridium Fields. The wall and pipes had about 15ft. Best vis was pipes. Tons of Hopkins Rose. Very calm. Saw a nice size Ling. Here's a short video of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/9356801220/

Last edited:
Dove breakwater and middle reef today. B-water had 15 to 20 +or - depending on where one was at. Saw some great nudis, Wolf eel deep in a hole, a few octos, a big ling. Vis was spotty, though a great dive. Temp was 51 at 35ft.
Middle reef was much the same as uspap reported, 15 ft. or so vis. Had the resident Harbor seal follow us around, found a large sea hare mating pile of about 10 or so. Temp a tad warmer at 53 at 20ft. deep.
Surface was sunny breezy with a temp around 65ish. Beautiful day!
Peace...

Today South Monastery was calm and flat on the surface, with a little surge underwater. Viz was unfortunately green and poor, topping out at around 10'.

Dove South Monastery this morning with Monterey sea otters. Vis was sucky and the kelp forest was dark best via maybe 15 with 5-10 in the sand channel. Low swell and surge 1-3 ft.
Dove breakwater in the afternoon and vis was a whopping 3-5 ft and green green green.

Dove McAbee beach this afternoon. This is only dive #3 in Monterey, but I'd say the vis was quite poor, 5 feet perhaps.

We didn't make it much deeper then 20 feet, sadly, and my understanding is things would have cleared up a bit below 25 or so, but sadly can't report on that today :(.

About 8-10 ft green visibility at Del Monte this morning. From the beach it looked calm as a lake, but the currents were surprisingly strong, and couldn't get in position for the Sailboat. Surface swim back in the current was miserable, felt like I was going nowhere the entire time. Never found the sailboat, but saw my first octopus and salp, so was a worthwhile dive.

Did Metridium Fields in the afternoon, expecting horrible pea soup, but once we hit the bottom was pleasantly amazed. 20 ft vis, and blue! Only other time I dove Breakwater was check out dives in 3 ft vis, so I was mindblown that Breakwater can be so beautiful. Found my first squid, and really enjoyed the metridiums. Magical experience.

A couple of dark dives at Point Lobos today.

First to Hole in the wall and Lone Metridium. A number (what number? I don't know...more than a few, not quite lots) of jellyfish littering the bottom. Viz was 15 to 20, green with particulates. Small schools of blue rockfish were hanging out along the walls and bottom.

Second dive we crossed Whalers and went all the way through the cave. I've always avoided the light at the end of the tunnel...er...cave so didn't know it was possible to swim through and surface on the other side. Viz was 10 to 15...at best...without many large fish to see. We surfaced way out along the sand channel and had a pair of harbor seals toying with us for a while.

My computer logged 47F for the first dive, 49F for the second, but it reads 3 to 5 degrees low & we were comfortable.

I lost my snorkel on the second dive. No real hope of recovering it, but just in case, it's a pretty generic black tube with one heat formed bite tab (the other fell off years ago).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom