Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went out to the end of Beto's Reef on Friday and never got better than 20' visibility, even down 120'. But it was patchy...there would be some clearer zones and some less clear zones. By "less clear" I mean less than 10' of visibility. Later we went down Granite Point Wall to the north end, then came back to Middle Reef and went to the north end of it. It was the same thing: patches of clearer water and patches of less clear water, but never better than about 20' visibility. It was a nice day of diving, but I think the clearest water may have been the water inside Whaler's Cove!

Bruce

There is a sticky in the NorCal forum on Monterey dive conditions (link below). Monterey is pretty cold with max water temperatures in the mid 50s. Southern California can get into the mid-60s in the late summer and fall, depending on where you are diving. Get the best fitting 7 mm suit you can rent, a good hood and gloves.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/425815-monterey-conditions-lets-keep-going.html

Night dive 10/3 breakwater wall. Never got much past 10ff vis with high particulates. There were some clear pockets but every time I tried to enjoy one the seals would swoop in and dust it up :p. Seals are jerks when trying to shoot macro but they want to hunt with your light...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 4th, 2014 at 12:28 PM ----------

There is a sticky in the NorCal forum on Monterey dive conditions (link below). Monterey is pretty cold with max water temperatures in the mid 50s. Southern California can get into the mid-60s in the late summer and fall, depending on where you are diving. Get the best fitting 7 mm suit you can rent, a good hood and gloves.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/425815-monterey-conditions-lets-keep-going.html

Maybe update to usually ~50 :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breakwater was really nice today. We swam out to the 13 and dropped. Vis was near 20. In the kelp it was about 20-25 and blue. Water was 55-58.

By the way I found a weight pocket. If anyone is missing it let me know.

Dove North Monastery this morning, entry and exit still reasonably easy. I assume it has gotten pretty rough by now with the swell picking up. Vis between 40-50 ft at around 100ft.

Last edited:
Monterey side wasn't bad today. Lover's 3 an easy entry and viz about 20' once out to the reefs. Breakwall was even better with a good 25' viz and abundant fish life. Lots of other stuff to see also. Temp a balmy 59F.
PA114046.jpgPA114153.jpg

I'm spending the night, so will see if things are diveable Sunday morning. Not really expecting to get wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom