Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigbella,
Great report. Thanks.

Where is a good place to rent a 7mm semi-dry suit, boots, gloves, fins? I checked with Diver Dan's and they don't rent semi-dry suits. I reached out to Randall Spangler to inquire about a guided dive at Pt. Lobos as well as rental shops in Monterey and he didn't have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Evan
I generally deal with Aquarius, off HWY-1 at Del Monte, in Monterey, though don't quite know what they have in their rental fleet, and frankly don't even know what a "semi-dry suit" happens to be (what -- is that like semiautomatic or semi-pregnant?). Any decent-fitting 7 mm wetsuit should just be fine, while actively swimming, which is what I typically use, since my current drysuit has a zipper across the back -- yeah, there's a brilliant gaffe -- and is a drag to use, if diving solo, which I frequently do . . .

I generally deal with Aquarius, right off HWY-1 in Monterey, though don't quite know what they have in their rental fleet, and frankly don't even know what a "semi-dry suit" happens to be. Any decent-fitting 7 mm wetsuit should just be fine, which is what I typically use, since my current drysuit has a zipper across the back and is a drag to use, if diving solo . . .
Thanks. I'll give Aquarius a call.

The "semi-dry" term was new to me as well: it has a single zipper across the front, attached hood, and dry-suit sealed wrists and ankles. They are supposed to be quite a bit warmer due to less water exchange than a farmer john or one-piece with a separate hood. Diver Dan's sold me on the idea, but they don't rent them and I want to make a couple dives to make sure I'll dive in cold water before plunking down the coin for a suit.

Thanks. I'll give Aquarius a call.

The "semi-dry" term was new to me as well: it has a single zipper across the front, attached hood, and dry-suit sealed wrists and ankles. They are supposed to be quite a bit warmer due to less water exchange than a farmer john or one-piece with a separate hood. Diver Dan's sold me on the idea, but they don't rent them and I want to make a couple dives to make sure I'll dive in cold water before plunking down the coin for a suit.
Big Bella has all that fur to keep him warm. I've got a sola FX semi dry. It is well worth the money and in my opinion it's quite a bit warmer than a regular wetsuit. I had to rent a 7mm one piece suit when my zipper broke on semi dry. I froze and only did one dive. A semi-dry does allow water in but the inner wrist and ankle seals keep the suit from "washing" cold water in constantly. I still get cold but not unbearable, unless water temp is below 50 such as on upwelling days. You really don't want to pee in it since you will be basting in warm urine for the rest of the dive. I don't know of anybody that rents them.

Big Bella has all that fur to keep him warm. I've got a sola FX semi dry. It is well worth the money and in my opinion it's quite a bit warmer than a regular wetsuit. I had to rent a 7mm one piece suit when my zipper broke on semi dry. I froze and only did one dive. A semi-dry does allow water in but the inner wrist and ankle seals keep the suit from "washing" cold water in constantly. I still get cold but not unbearable, unless water temp is below 50 such as on upwelling days. You really don't want to pee in it since you will be basting in warm urine for the rest of the dive. I don't know of anybody that rents them.
I have the same suit, I don't find it that much warmer than the various 7mm suits from Auqalung, Bare, and Henderson I rented before I bought. But I also have a 2XL that doesn't fit particularly well since I have a big belly but shorter legs and skinnier arms than the suit is designed for. (What can I say, I'm a real physical specimen.) The better the suit fits, the more the "seals" are going to help. I completely understand not wanting to buy before you know you're going to dive. I have a custom wetsuit (which is barely more expensive than a full-price SolaFX) from Cricket at Otter Bay on order but that was over six months ago and I've yet to hear anything. But that's only because I already know I love Monterey diving.

Since the OP is only looking to try things out, I would go to Aquarius and rent whatever 7mm they have. Drink some coffee or cocoa before the dive and see how you like it.

Since the OP is only looking to try things out, I would go to Aquarius and rent whatever 7mm they have. Drink some coffee or cocoa before the dive and see how you like it.
Thanks.

I was certified in Indiana rock quarries in the early 80s--50F with 6' visibility--and a used 1/4" farmer john suited me well, but I was a lot more active/fit back then. And truth be told I got cold.

An alternative to peeing in wet suits was a milk jug of warm water--similar effect and no urine. Surprised I don't read much about that.

I figure Monterey diving will be similar but with better stuff to see when visibility allows.

Dove this Saturday and Sunday with the Dive Shop I DM for (6 total dives - 2 deep and 4 shallow). Deep dives first thing on Saturday and Sunday morning (8:30 AM) to the Anchor Farm 1 and 2 sites. between 50 and 60 feet of vis at 85 feet. Water temp wasn't too bad (dove wet) at 54 degrees on the bottom. A ray, 3 monkey faced eels, shrimp and some moon jellies. Dove by the Radio Tower for the 4 shallow dives. 40 to 50 feet of vis on Saturday and Sunday's 2nd dive. Dropped to 20 feet on the third dive each day. Lots of Blue and tons of life. Had two very excited students lose their minds when a pair of harbor seals payed them a visit. Hardly any surge and absolutely easy diving. Some of the best conditions I have seen there. Boat ramp and dock were iced over first thing each day, but didn't interfere with anything. Cold start to each morning, but gave way to some pretty fantastic conditions. Wanted to sneak in a 4th dive each day at the Breakwater, but just couldn't seem to warm up enough to want to get back in. Conditions there looked fantastic too. Hoping one of you dove the wall and can report.

Happy Holidays SB!

2 dives at Breakwater today. First was along wall and then in middle kelp. Wall was close to 40 foot vis. Spectacular. A bunch of Moon Jellies. Middle reef was 25 to 30. Second dive along wall was 25-30 ft vis. Great day. First dive was 93 min. Second dive was 50 min. Epic day. I hear conditions are going to tank Monday.

Lobos was spectacular on Monday, hoping it will be again tomorrow!

This is from Monday out at The Sisters
AD5E4DDA-C458-4DEF-93B7-E0EDA6A45556.png

I heard there was a ton of moon jellies at Lobos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom