Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First dive North Monastery. Had to time entry and exit. Water was a hazy 40ft vis. Water temp 47. Surface temp 70 which was nice to thaw out. Second dive was Breakwater wall. 15 ft vis and 49 degree water. Still a nice day.

Man, you’d think one of the benefits of water that cold would be above average visibility. Very excited for cases to drop some more so I can experience it for myself.

First dive since October! Human and time change scheduling issues meant only one dive. Easing myself back in at Breakwater, swam the middle reef at the edge of the kelp, then a quick trip out and back along the wall. Got circled my a sea lion, very nice white (moon?) jellyfish, though few fish. 13ºC / 55ºF, and I felt it in my 8mm by the end of our 62 minutes. I'm not usually cold on surface intervals but was yesterday. Conditions were lake-like, actually much calmer than large lakes usually are. Tantalizing 10m / 30ft vis near the surface close to shore, but only adequate at our 8.5m / 28 ft. depth, maybe 5m / 15 ft. It was just so nice to see the kelp, hydrocoral, and strawberry anemones, especially.

There were a ton of open-water classes, wharf and lower lot were full by 8:45. Masking was better than 50%.

PSA, make sure you get your tanks vizzed! I went to get a fill and the tank that I had dropped off in November and just picked up last week was already out of visual. No fill for me! My fault, I just can't believe how little time it feels like has passed since last spring.

Monastery and San Carlos Beaches, this morning -- both with about 4-5 meters of visibility -- and 9 ˚C and 10˚C respectively, at each site (bring in the brass monkeys); better at depth in Carmel, and just the opposite in Monterey . . .

North Monastery: about five meters of visibility, below 20 meters, out by the "splash-rock;" murky with a good amount of surge, close to shore.

Heavy NW wind and whitecaps -- Spring has definitely sprung . . .

Two dives at Breakwater today. The water looked awesome before we even got in. Nice and clear and reasonably calm. First dive we swam out to just past the 13 and dropped to check out the seals. Not as many as I had hoped but still fun. On the surface swim out you could still see the bottom at the number 8 . Vis was 35ft +/-. Water temp 50-51

Second dive we started at the middle reef area. Not too much kelp right now. Vis was 25 +/-. We decided to head back on a 150 heading to the wall and vis improved as we went. At the wall there was a large school of fish swimming in and out of the kelp which made for some great photos. Awesome day underwater.

Good conditions persisted over the weekend - we had amazing visibility and calm conditions at Pt Lobos on Saturday.

Buddy and I scootered to Marco's Pinnacle again (to make sure my navigation and waypoints from last time weren't a fluke) and did some more exploration around the "back" of the structures and approaching+identifying the main landmarks from the "wrong" direction. This has been something I've been working on at Lobos as a way to improve my navigation and familiarity with the area.
It was cold as frick and my buddy developed a leak in his backup reg hose on the way back so we came in a little early. Good to be back in the water after a 6 week hiatus.
-> 59min, 77ft max, 54ft avg, 48F at depth

IMG_0855.jpg IMG_0857.jpg

Good conditions persisted over the weekend - we had amazing visibility and calm conditions at Pt Lobos on Saturday.

Buddy and I scootered to Marco's Pinnacle again (to make sure my navigation and waypoints from last time weren't a fluke) and did some more exploration around the "back" of the structures and approaching+identifying the main landmarks from the "wrong" direction. This has been something I've been working on at Lobos as a way to improve my navigation and familiarity with the area.
It was cold as frick and my buddy developed a leak in his backup reg hose on the way back so we came in a little early. Good to be back in the water after a 6 week hiatus.
-> 59min, 77ft max, 54ft avg, 48F at depth

View attachment 650595 View attachment 650596
Especially scootering. Brrr!

Dove North Monastery yesterday around noon. Vis was about 30ft +/-. Best vis was in close and out around wash rock. 48 degrees water temp. Saw a few piles of squid eggs.

Second dive was Breakwater wall. Vis was about 15ft in close and got progressively worse the further out you went. As a result, I returned to the shallows for a nice dive in the kelp along the wall. The poor vis was creeping into the shallow area by the end of the dive. Water looks like it wants to get green.

Any current reports?
Was thinking about getting back into the water tomorrow, but I know yesterday vis was terrible so I might postpone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom