Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

02A7569C-BEAC-47FB-B3A9-5E2853412B26.jpeg

Looks to me like moon snail eggs - also known as a sand collar

Thanks for posting the video - keep em coming!

Inspired by @lostsheep, we dove Copper Roof. First time there! Vis was 20-30 feet once you kicked out a bit. Gorgeous day. Saw a variety of fish and rocks were fun to investigate. Hope everyone is having an awesome dive weekend!

Pt Lobos on Saturday continued to be amazing - gorgeous topside and beautiful underwater. We scooted over to Lone Metridium and then a 330 degree heading to Beto's Reef where we spent most of our dive. Large vermillions and sheephead kept us company there as we, unsuccessfully, attempted to get photo and video with a GoPro and our primary lights of the hydrocoral and nudibranchs there.
IMG-20190504-WA0001.jpg
The entire dive was in the 100ft range and, since we hadn't planned on incurring more than a few minutes of deco, had to head to Middle Reef and back home after just 30min :(

-> 73min, 104ft max, 57ft avg, 51F water temp, 30-40ft viz

Hopkin’s deep was excellent today, 50’+ viz below about 30’ depth. Erik’s pinnacle was almost as good with 40’ viz below about the same.

Go dive while conditions hold!

Yep, Hopkins Reef at about 40 ft was spectacular. Lemon nudibranchs, senoritas, and very healthy looking kelp. Aumentos at 75 ft depth was maybe not quite as good, but still a solid 30 ft in places. Decent current at 3 p.m. Managed to lose my buddy above me. He was *this* close to tapping me in the head with his GoPro. Lots of great stuff to see, including about 3/4 of a foot-long mola mola (so just a "mola mo"?) that had a big bite taken out of it.

Yep, Hopkins Reef at about 40 ft was spectacular. Lemon nudibranchs, senoritas, and very healthy looking kelp. Aumentos at 75 ft depth was maybe not quite as good, but still a solid 30 ft in places. Decent current at 3 p.m. Managed to lose my buddy above me. He was *this* close to tapping me in the head with his GoPro. Lots of great stuff to see, including about 3/4 of a foot-long mola mola (so just a "mola mo"?) that had a big bite taken out of it.

You must have been on the Beach Hopper?

You must have been on the Beach Hopper?
No, I had heard a lot of good things about them, but they weren't going out in the afternoon. I tried Sanctuary Charters which was excellent. Tyler the DM gave the most comprehensive safety brief I'd ever seen, including the location of the emergency oxygen and instructions to skip the safety stop if we heard the diver recall alarm. He must have been reading the IPE thread where the divers were recalled but still did their stop. Captain Nick was very knowledgeable, steady hand on the boat, and a great help.
It's $100 for a 2-tank dive, $10 more than Beach Hopper II, but a max of 6 divers instead of 12, so an excellent value. They have a new scheduling site, which wasn't showing the trip, but I called and the owner, Mike, got me signed up with no trouble.

2 at North Monastery today. 40-50ft vis. Milky. 53 degrees.

Did 2 hour+ dives at Pt. Lobos on Saturday, May 11th. Viz was about 40 feet but a little murky. Missed HITW but found the Lone Metridium on the first dive. Second dive was along Middle Reef. 52 deg at depth (68 feet on the 1st dive, about 50 on the 2nd). Very flat on the surface and nice to see so much kelp. Saw some good-sized fish, including a sheephead, cabezon and lingcod. Lots of YOY too. Some areas were overrun with the little purple sea urchins but other areas were not. Another great day of local diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom