Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so I went to my friend's this evening and worked on the video. After we cleaned it up we believe it was a Sunfish and not a shark. In the video you will see the clip at full speed and not enhanced then it goes to slow enhanced. Let me know what you think it is.

I believe that the Metridium Fields is a good place to see molas - I agree w/ your ID.

I was at the Metridiums when I looked up and saw my first molas. I pointed then out to one buddy, and she gave a happy clap.

I swam up and pointed them out to another buddy and his eyes got big and he started hugging the bottom. I didn't really know what was going on, but when we got out (which was soon, bc he sucked down his tank), he told us that he thought that they were sharks -- and big ones.

I had seen them in profile, where they clearly looked like molas. He saw then head on, with the big fin on top.

These molas were only like 3-4 feet in diameter -- beautiful (in their ugly way), but not that impressive in size in profile -- but if you think you're seeing a shark coming at you that's about 3 feet in height -- that's a massive shark, probably the landlord. He was terrified.

North Monastery was an easy entry and exit, early this morning; though the visibility only opened up, out near the splash rock, at 15-20 meters of depth. Closer to shore, it is a miso soup appetizer, with wolf eels. I'd give the visibility 5 meters, maybe 6 at the drop-off.

In related Mortuary Beach news, there was a recent, exhaustive search -- by the Coasties; Cal Fire; the Sheriff's Department, etc -- for a Scottish tourist, whose son claimed that he was going to go for a swim. Turned out he was up for rape charges -- a couple of dozen, could happen to anybody -- in the old country, and took a stab at faking his death, at an infamous beach. He is currently at large, presumably still in the Central California area . . .

Law enforcement on the hunt for Scot accused of faking his death at Monastery Beach

In related Mortuary Beach news, there was a recent, exhaustive search -- by the Coasties; the sheriff's department, etc -- for a Scottish tourist, whose son claimed that he was going to go for a swim. Turned out he was up for rape charges -- a couple of dozen, could happen to anybody -- in the old country, and took a stab at faking his death, at an infamous beach. He is currently at large, presumably still in the Central California area . . .

Law enforcement on the hunt for Scot accused of faking his death at Monastery Beach

Thanks for sharing that story. What a creepy looking dude. I'll be sure the deadbolt and chain are on my hotel door this weekend.

For those that don't dive in Monterey and are wondering why Monastery is nicknamed Mortuary beach, here's one of the signs that are posted around the beach...

North Monastery was an easy entry and exit, early this morning; though the visibility only opened up, out near the splash rock, at 15-20 meters. Closer to shore, it is a miso soup appetizer, with wolf eels. I'd give the visibility 5 meters, maybe 6 at the drop-off.
Meters or feet? 15-20 meters is incredible vis for California. 5-6 meters is a pretty good day in SoCal.

Meters or feet? 15-20 meters is incredible vis for California. 5-6 meters is a pretty good day in SoCal.

5-6 meters of visibility at 15-20 meters of depth; soupier closer to shore . . .

Nice and mostly calm day but water was a cold 48 degrees. My camera housing leaked messing up some color, though I did by best to edit it. Also my neck seal was not seated right so it leaked and we had to call the dive early. Oh well, we still had fun with our scooters and I got some colorful video. We reached 40 feet at middle Reef.

3-29-19. Great dive at Pt. Lobos. Sunny, 20-30 feet of vis, and we saw some Sheephead fish. Water temp. 55 degrees. video coming.
Sheephead Lobos 3-2919.JPG

Attachments

• Sheephead 1 Lobos 3-29-19.JPG
    Sheephead 1 Lobos 3-29-19.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Lobos starfish 3-29-19.JPG
    Lobos starfish 3-29-19.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Lobos selfie 3-2919.JPG
    Lobos selfie 3-2919.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 106
Here's the video as promised; Great dive at Pt. Lobos. We saw three Sheephead and two hung out with us. We dove middle reef to only 36 feet. Water temp. 55 degrees. vis 20-30 feet. Lots of critters with some surge that slowly calmed down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom