Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to North Monastery today, wash rock looked calm. The stream seemed to have dried out. the minute I put my face in the water, I thought it was going to be 50' vis since the water had a nice blue hue. Kept letting water into my my mask and cleared it but it was not fog. Went all the way to 58' depth and vis was still no more than 35'vis, so..did not go any further.
There were a lot of tiny particulates (of kelp I think). Hopefully by tomorrow it would settle down for better viz.
At the surface, spoke to a diver who went down more than 200' depth, he mentioned that the vis did not get any better.

Last edited:
First, 35 feet of viz is pretty good, though I've seen 50 feet as you mentioned. Second, a diver went down to over 200 feet?! Yikes! As a sport diver, I'd never recommend that unless you are very advanced and have two tanks, and, of course, a buddy. The deepest I've dove at Monastery was 120 feet back in the 80's, and at that depth we only stayed for 5 minutes. I was with a dive master. You can see plenty in shallower water and not need to worry about decompression, etc. Maybe this guy was a tech diver?

they are there allright. but who wants to eat sweaty diver?:)

Today was my first time at Point Lobos, and what a treat! It was pretty spectacular.

The ocean was glassy smooth, though it was chilly and overcast above. We swam around the Middle Reef for our first dive and played in the shallower Worm Patch for the second. Vis was around 35'. Water temperature was a very cold 48 degrees.

There were many harbor seals on the beach, including some playful pups. One buzzed by us underwater. Lots of good sized rockfish and perch. All in all a great couple dives. Made better by the fact that I played hooky to do it on a Wednesday. :wink:

xZbIpIs.jpg

hpurmXz.jpg

Dove today at the Breakwater - great fun!

Vis started at about 20', but it did get progressively murkier. We swam along the breakwater wall, where we met many playful sea lions, rockfish, crabs and other critters lurking in the crevices, and a big school of blues.

Water temperature was 52F with no swell or waves.

hHPiTBS.jpg

North Monastery was very calm. 40+/- vis. 53 water temp. Lots of Lings. 2nd dive was wedding rock and pretty much same vis.
3rd dive was Breakwater wall. 25ft +/- vis. tons of salp in water. 53 degrees. Water is calm and blue.

Got to S. Monastary this afternoon. Topside saw cool and foggy in the high 50's.
Water saw little swell, vis was 35ish and a temp of 52 around 50fsw. Lots of fish to be seen. Some big lings lurking around, along with plenty of large rockfish, several kelp greenlings, and a big cabazon, and a few colorful nudibranchs.
Glad to see the water has calmed down some and the vis clearing up some. get out and play if you can.

Ok...so first thing...if you can, shut down your computer and go to Monterey NOW. Trust me, just go.

Did three (5, according to my computer) awesome dives yesterday with Raftingtigger---2 at Lobos, and a night dive to the Metridiums.

Sea conditions: FLAT...GLASSY FLAT. Lots of kelp at Lobos---boat channels have not shaped up yet
Weather: Overcast in the morning, sunny and clear after that.
Visibility: 25 to 60 feet, depending on the dive, see below
Water temperature: 53F to 63F, depending on the dive, see below

First dive: Bluefish Cove

We did a surface swim out to between the second and last Cannery Point rocks, dropped into 10 to 20 foot deep water, crossed into Bluefish Cove, then popped up to get surface video to prove we were there. We dove on a west heading 'til we got to about 50 feet, then veered left cruising in the deep rock channels.

There were lots of fish, feather duster worms, and dense clouds of small jellies or salps(?) that would dart away if you touched them. I had a Canary Rock fish follow me around for a while, filmed a couple of big Lings, and raced after a gnarly looking male Sheephead trying to get some video.

The viz was awesome---60+ Feet---except in the jelly clouds.

We popped up in the middle of Bluefish and scouted out our return. It was pretty surgy crossing back, but we had enough water under and around us to keep things safe. We continued for a bit on the Whaler's side, then surfaced and wound our way back through the kelp to the ramp.

Bottom time: 70 Minutes
Max Depth: 60 Feet
Visibility: 60+ feet
Temperatures: Air 69F, Water 53F to 59F

Second (3) dive(s): Cross Whalers 17 minutes, through the Coal Chute caves and across Whalers 58 minutes, short cut under the kelp to the ramp 8 minutes.

The kelp has filled in a lot since my last dive a couple of weeks ago. There is no clear channel across the cove so we took a bearing on Coal Chute and dove across Whalers till we ran out of water. Raftingtigger showed me (again) how to find the upper entrance to the cave. There was a surprising amount of water movement, considering how flat it was, but it calmed for a moment and into the cave I went. About 3 feet down I realized I had my snorkel in my mouth, replaced it with my regulator, and continued into the cave.

After we toured the caves, we followed (we thought) a reciprocal heading toward the ramp but ended up way out where we'd started our first dive!?!?! Raftingtigger declared we'd earned an F on navigation. But it didn't matter, it was awesome. The small jellies were so dense at times it was like diving in tapioca. There were wonderful schools of rockfish feeding on the jellies so my dive profile is a zigzag as I rose up to swim through them and film.

We returned on the surface for a bit, but got tired of shoving our way through kelp and dropped under the canopy for another 8 minutes, surfacing near the ramp.

Total Bottom Time: 83 minutes
Max Depth: 39 Feet
Visibility: 40 Feet
Temperatures: Air 92.5, Water 54F to 63F

Third dive: Night dive to the Metridiums

After dinner, a futile search for coffee, and a nap we reconvened for a night dive at the Metridiums.

The surface was still flat. We followed the pipe to the end, headed north to the Metridiums, then returned to the pipe and followed it back. A harbor seal joined us at the Metridiums and snagged some big fish hunting in our lights. There were big shrimp on the pipe, crazed schools of bait fish racing around (one hit me in the face!), and I spotted two large (for here) octopus about the size of my fist. The harbor seal stuck with us all the way to the beach. I spotted a nice ray of some sort in the shallows just before exiting the water.

Bottom Time: 76 minutes
Max Depth: 48 feet,
Visibility: 20 to 25 feet
Temperatures: Air 60.3, Water 57F to 59F

Last edited:
Did 2 at Breakwater yesterday. Water looked a little green in spots but not too bad. Vis was 10-20 depending on where you were. Shallow was better. There were some Thety's chained up around 40ft. Top side was beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom