Monterey CA scuba fatality (12/09)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last I heard was that he and his dive partner had surfaced and that Kirk was complaining of something (I don't know what that is) and then lost consciousness. I don't believe he ever recovered consciousness and was maintained on life support until Tuesday. I don't know if he was experiencing any problems while diving. The first I heard about it, someone suspected a heart attack, but I really don't know. Please keep his family in your thoughts as he leaves behind a wife and 2 kids.

osufan1990,

Thank you for verifying the information and I will keep his family and friends in my thoughts and prayers. If I may asked, do you know where Kirk went to high school? Did he go to Enid High in the mid 80s?

There is a little exert in the Californian with no other information. It just say autopsy is pending.
I think I know someone he went to high school with. My condolences goes out to his family and friends.
I'm curious, who do you know that he went to high school with. I'm wondering if it is one of our friends from college that lives in San Jose now. I know he and Kirk went to high school together.

I'm curious, who do you know that he went to high school with. I'm wondering if it is one of our friends from college that lives in San Jose now. I know he and Kirk went to high school together.

I cannot recall their last names, but I knew a Mike and Shelly(brother and sister) that grew up in Enid. Shelly is the one that I'm thinking would be about the same age. I think Mike was a couple of years younger. I haven't talked to either one of them probably since 86 or 87.

Don't mean to get off topic, but did you go to Okla State? If so, would you happen to know a Scott or Kent Starnes? They are my cousins.

I cannot recall their last names, but I knew a Mike and Shelly(brother and sister) that grew up in Enid. Shelly is the one that I'm thinking would be about the same age. I think Mike was a couple of years younger. I haven't talked to either one of them probably since 86 or 87.

Don't mean to get off topic, but did you go to Okla State? If so, would you happen to know a Scott or Kent Starnes? They are my cousins.
I did go there, but don't know those names. I was there from 88-94.

Mike and Shelley don't ring a bell with me either.

Funeral arrangements are in progress, but nothing is definite. I will update you if I find out what happend during the accident.

This is Kirk's sister. After speaking with Kirk's wife, it has been requested that no specific details for funeral arrangements be posted.

Thank you.

Was he diving with a local? Or both out of towners?

If I remember correctly it was pretty flat those days

Mods: Please edit title to Include the Date please

My understanding (from a fairly reliable source) is that he was diving with a fellow Oklahoma
resident who was a SCUBA instructor.

The 3 p.m. forecast was
.TONIGHT...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
NW SWELL 6 TO 9 FT AT 14 SECONDS.

Not that flat, but probably diveable at the Breakwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom