Monroe Dive Center - Quarry (MI)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schu--thanks for the good words. I am popping Zyrtec right now. Noticing a change. My rescue class dives Spring Mill next Sunday. Hmm, White star or Spring Mill. You win. I don't even like to train in an environment that I would not waste my time diving. Oh well.

Sorry for the hijack. Let's resume trying to figure out if Monroe is going to be usable. I do not mind the bad viz. When I am down there I work Nav and bouncy. It really has helped me become a better diver.

Boy, still stuck on Spring Mill verse White Star.

Schu--thanks for the good words. I am popping Zyrtec right now. Noticing a change. My rescue class dives Spring Mill next Sunday. Hmm, White star or Spring Mill. You win. I don't even like to train in an environment that I would not waste my time diving. Oh well.

Sorry for the hijack. Let's resume trying to figure out if Monroe is going to be usable. I do not mind the bad viz. When I am down there I work Nav and bouncy. It really has helped me become a better diver.

Boy, still stuck on Spring Mill verse White Star.

Just to keep the hijack going a bit longer...

All the reasons we love to hate Spring Mill are what make it a fantastic place for rescue class dives!

My 2 cents.
Paula

I just stopped by the shop and got a little bit of information.

The quarry is not open to the public right now. They said that the water is fine for diving, but that the surface isn't diver friendly. There is also seawall construction going on at this time. They said that the goal is to build a pavilion and do some work on the surface, and then the quarry would be opened to the public, however their best estimate on a timetable puts that late this season. Bummer for me, it's a much shorter/cheaper/nicer drive than to the Ohio quarries.

I didn't ask too many questions just because the shop wasn't actually open, I just caught them as they were leaving to go diving.

-Geoff

The Phone number for the dive shop has progressed from "temporarily out of service" to "disconnected". Their web site has disappeared. Has anyone got evidence the this is still a viable operation? What are our chances of diving the quarry without a shop to "sponsor" our being there?

Last I heard the quarry wouldn't be open to diving this year.

It's all private property so there's no other access.

Memphis is in Northern Macomb county/southern St. Clair County. About 1 hour away from Detroit and less than 1.5 hours from flint. Very nice residential treatment facility located there. This is exciting news if it happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom