Monofins. Are they any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoyden:
Do you really think this is a necessary OW skill? I can dolphin kick (from swimming) but see absolutely no reason that any scuba diver needs this in their skill set.

What if you're trying to hide in the middle of a pod of dolphins?

GA Under Water:
2184-2.jpg

Also could work for applying spackle compound to large areas

Hoyden:
Do you really think this is a necessary OW skill? I can dolphin kick (from swimming) but see absolutely no reason that any scuba diver needs this in their skill set.

Yes. It's the best kick if you've lost a fin.

with those fins you will not be able to maneuver as much as you can with a pair of regular fins, actually i think it will be really hard to maneuver right or left at all with out using your arms. (like walking with your legs tied)
so unless you are a serious free diver, you don't need them.

Soudan.

Hoyden:
It's a great kick for breaking the neck seal on a drysuit too. I got myself nice and soggy screwing around with that kick on my way back from a shore dive one day not long ago.

The freedivers I've seen use them also appeared to be in very good physical condition. I would guess it would take an awful lot of strength to consistently work that blade under water.

My advice if you're going to use a monofin for anything? Start in the pool, stay shallow and stay near the edge so you'll have something to grab onto! <Cough, hack, gasp>
They are fun for freediving but awkwardly fun.

Hoyden:
Not only for a lost fin, which I’m sure there are a few that will say that’s impossible for them to do.

But it’s a good kick for an injured lower limb or just to take a bit of a rest. There are lots of uses for it and the scuba police aren’t going to arrest you for trying it anytime you feel like it.

As far as the Mono Fin goes I have to agree that it is best suited for dry wallers. :D

Gary D.

Hoyden:

A student is definitely not going to be taught a dolphin kick in OW certs because they will suck enough as it is doing normal fin kicks...They are bicycling all over the place. Now class...next thing we are going to do today is the dolphin kick:)

But...I agree with Walter that it is a skill that a diver needs to learn, just as is a frog kick. There are situations where you need to know all three. I use a modified dolphin kick when I am in small narrow places on a wreck so as not to stir up silt. I know a newly certified student isn't going to drop right into one of these areas...hope not at least...but it is a good skill to have...Any skill is a good skill and the more the better....

Back
Top Bottom