Monkey Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This may not really be a T2T topic, but I'm hoping to filter out some responses by posting this back here.

Does anyone have the history on "Monkey Diving"? Where did the phrase come from? Who came up with the configuration? What exactly fits this "style" of diving now. Is it all single cylinder sidemount diving or just single cylinder sidemount diving without a wing? And if you have no idea, please refrain from posting. I'm looking for reliable information on this. Thanks! :D

First I heard about it was from Faisal and some of the Red Sea Explorers guys in Egypt (Red Sea Explorers - Redefine the way you dive!!). There's some history here: monkey-diving.com - Home

I think the term comes from the concept of "monkeying" around. If done in shallow, good visibility water, with competent teammates, (and two second stages...) it's relatively safe. I certainly worry more about my drive to the dive site than the occasional monkey dive. It is about as far from "tech" diving as my diving gets.

Personally, I would NOT equate it with sidemount diving. The single cylinder (almost always an AL80) is simply set up as a standard OC stage, not sidemounted. Wing or no wing doesn't seem to matter (I've done both). Wet vs. dry doesn't either (though I and others refer to the latter, using a small AL6 off-board for suit inflation, as "Gorilla Diving"). Scooters, though, are key to the fun.

Short video from the first time I tried it in San Diego:

[vimeo]7287949[/vimeo]

This may not really be a T2T topic, but I'm hoping to filter out some responses by posting this back here.

Don't fret on it, neither are 99% of the threads here :p

Short video from the first time I tried it in San Diego:

Gee thanks, now I need a scooter!

First I heard about it was from Faisal and some of the Red Sea Explorers guys in Egypt (Red Sea Explorers - Redefine the way you dive!!). There's some history here: monkey-diving.com - Home

I think the term comes from the concept of "monkeying" around. If done in shallow, good visibility water, with competent teammates, (and two second stages...) it's relatively safe. I certainly worry more about my drive to the dive site than the occasional monkey dive. It is about as far from "tech" diving as my diving gets.

Personally, I would NOT equate it with sidemount diving. The single cylinder (almost always an AL80) is simply set up as a standard OC stage, not sidemounted. Wing or no wing doesn't seem to matter (I've done both). Wet vs. dry doesn't either (though I and others refer to the latter, using a small AL6 off-board for suit inflation, as "Gorilla Diving"). Scooters, though, are key to the fun.

I've seen he Red Sea site, but was wondering if they were truly the first or if there was anyone doing this before.

While initially monkey diving may not have been equated with sidemount diving, I believe it is heading that way. Rather than sling an 80 as a stage, sidemount divers are mounting 80s as they do a sidemount cylinder but only using one cylinder, similar to no mounting. I've only done monkey dives wet without a wing so far. I just made a rig with a wing to be used for some monkey dives on a Caribbean trip we are about to take. We will be using regs with 2 second stages.

Could be heading toward more "true" sidemount; I just haven't seen it here.

As for the two second stages, we've played around with a few variations. My strong preference (and our current team requirement) is to breathe off a second stage on a 40" hose and bungee a backup on a shorter hose (32-34"). Our usual stage regs are already set up with a 40" hose, so when monkey diving we just attach the other second stage + shorter hose, and go diving. This keeps the donation procedure identical to typical OC (donate the primary, go to a bungeed secondary). A long hose just isn't warranted for the shallow, non-overhead diving we're willing to do when monkey diving.

I found a small wing helpful when diving wet locally (7mm suit + 4/6mm hooded vest). The suit buoyancy shift at even moderate depth is pretty great on that combo. Mostly, though, we dive dry. The wing isn't necessary at the surface (close the dump valve) or during the dive (the amount of gas needed for comfort off-sets the gas weight). If I were going to monkey dive somewhere deeper or without a hard bottom, I'd seriously consider adding a wing in case of flood. We do always have 50# lift bags with us (mostly for the scooters in case they flood). Your typical singles wing, however, sort of sucks as a monkey diving wing, as it will taco tremendously without a cylinder to hold it down. I've used the DSS monkey diving wing which addresses this issue, and I hear UTD has some similar offerings. I might look to bungee our normal singles wings down to the plate if I want redundancy in the future.

Have fun on your trip! It's a very light way to travel.

I've seen he Red Sea site, but was wondering if they were truly the first or if there was anyone doing this before.

While initially monkey diving may not have been equated with sidemount diving, I believe it is heading that way. Rather than sling an 80 as a stage, sidemount divers are mounting 80s as they do a sidemount cylinder but only using one cylinder, similar to no mounting. I've only done monkey dives wet without a wing so far. I just made a rig with a wing to be used for some monkey dives on a Caribbean trip we are about to take. We will be using regs with 2 second stages.

When I "monkey dive", it is a razor knock off and an AL80. No wing. No suit. Just me, 2" webbing" and AL80.

Sometimes I'll add a DPV, but either way... it's the BEST way to dive "recreational" stuff and do "initial checkouts" of possible new cave.

As far as where the term came from... Heck if I know, I don't think there is a single "place" that it was coined that can be proven or determined with any type of reliability. The oldest mention of the term "monkey dive" as we see it on Google was in 2007.

When I "monkey dive", it is a razor knock off and an AL80. No wing. No suit. Just me, 2" webbing" and AL80.Sometimes I'll add a DPV, but either way... it's the BEST way to dive "recreational" stuff and do "initial checkouts" of possible new cave.

As far as where the term came from... Heck if I know, I don't think there is a single "place" that it was coined that can be proven or determined with any type of reliability. The oldest mention of the term "monkey dive" as we see it on Google was in 2007.

I can vouch for Joe diving like that...and I may never recover from the sight!! :( Next time, a suit is mandatory, Tegg!!!

I can vouch for Joe diving like that...and I may never recover from the sight!! :( Next time, a suit is mandatory, Tegg!!!

[video=youtube;HEbnc73ItCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEbnc73ItCE[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom