Monkey dive in a drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantmac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any tips on hose routing? I assume left cylinder only and keep the long hose stowed unless needed.

Any tips on hose routing? I assume left cylinder only and keep the long hose stowed unless needed.
Just use a deco reg with a suit hose on the 5th port.
Typically no wing to bother with.

Monkey: Meaning single sidemount? Typical BC inflator hose length suggests left-slung cylinder. Use a normal back-mount reg, and stow the Octo as normal for backmount.
Mionkey: meaning no BC, and tank tethered to your weight belt? What is your contingency plan for a suit flood?

God, I love the whole concept of monkey diving!
It’s a twist on vintage no BC diving. So unconventional, risky, daring, free, I love it!
We do Something similar here but it’s single backmount in wetsuits, proper weighting meaning freedive weighting (light), one single reg and maybe an SPG.
The freedom is liberating!

WTF is a monkey dive? Been diving over 35 years and first I have heard of this term.

Put your back-mount reg on an AL80. Loop a rope tether with a bolt snap around the valve. Put a d-ring (or a heavy duty O-Ring) on your weight belt. Wear a swim suit, mask, fins, and a weight belt (6 lbs is optimal for me, YMMV). Enter the water carrying the tank, clip the boltsnap to the ring, and have at it. Your BC is your lungs. Most people have 3 liters of max tidal volume in their lungs, so breathe off the top of your lungs at the start of the dive, by the end you'll be breathing off the bottom. The amount of air carried is limited by lung capacity.

pairs well with freedive fins or a scooter for minimum drag maximum speed

Attachments

• IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 42
I mean single sidemount.
So drysuit and wing. Although I suppose drysuit only wouldn't be the end of the world since I'm using a minimum of weight.

In the end I grabbed my BP/W but I'll definitely give this a try during wetsuit season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom