Monk Seal visits Lahaina Harbor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thursday at work we got to watch Monk Seal N5 "Lona" play in Lahaina harbor for about an hour - she was coming up to the boats and playing with carcasses of dead fish from the fishing boats she found on the bottom. This was the second time I've seen her in the Lahaina area - last time was when I got these pics of her at Shark Pit Carthaginian and Shark Pit - Lahaina - Amazing animals to watch, and what a treat for all the visitors along the dock. We almost didn't leave the harbor, because how can you top a monk seal? Of course an hour later one of our divers found a frog fish that swam with him up to the windows ... what a day!

Aloha, Tim

Wow, that's cool that it was the same one, and thanks to the markings, you could know it! Sounds like she's decided Lahaina's a good place to hang out (maybe still stealing fish from the spearfishermen?)

The folks at Aloha Mixed Plate told us that a Monk Seal had been coming right up on the beach at the restaurant every morning. Of course the morning we went to see, it was nowhere to be found. Wonder if it's the same one.

What fun for you Tim...to see the same one twice!

...was she being fed?

kinda ... she was helping herself to some spearfishermen's catch ... she swam up and stripped their stringer of fish ... it was so much fun to watch, even the fishermen were watching bemusedly.

Aloha, Tim

I got an amazing first look at Monk Seal thanks to Scottitheduck! We had not one but two monk seals. The female was pretty big I thought and the male was just playful as could be. Gabe got all the video on it. Hes got a few pics up on his website. Those things were just amazing. We had one actually come up to one of your divers and give him a kiss on the top of the head! oh yeah! that was just amazing. I have to admit, one of the best animals to see for me.

I got an amazing first look at Monk Seal thanks to Scottitheduck! We had not one but two monk seals. The female was pretty big I thought and the male was just playful as could be. Gabe got all the video on it. Hes got a few pics up on his website. Those things were just amazing. We had one actually come up to one of your divers and give him a kiss on the top of the head! oh yeah! that was just amazing. I have to admit, one of the best animals to see for me.

How cool, those two seals may be the same that I saw a few years back in the same area.
Video is on my website

Maybe, I know they were tagged but I cant remember what the tag said. It might be on the video. Gabe got all the shots and he has a few pics up already on his site. check it out here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom