Monday Photo ~ Octopus/Squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come join us at the lake! :rofL: hahahahehehehe

I crack me us sometimes!!! :D :D :D :eek:ut:

Doing our nitrox up at WW this week so we will need to do some practice - mebbe next weekend or the one after.

Not seen many occies in the lake yet - need to get out more.......

I did discover something surprising this weekend. A fungus looking growth os some of the short grasses. What was surprising is it moves! Apparently it's light and motion sensitive. When shadowed or touched, it closes. Give a few minutes, it opens and fluffs up again.

I've also seen some growth that looks like emerald green colored encusting sponge. I hope to get a photo soon.

OMG, my very favorite subject! These are Giant Pacific Octopuses, the largest in the world... and my very favorite critters.

(sorry about the large size, and all images ©2001-2003 Puget Sound Diving)

20021128hugoeye.jpg

coolocto0detail.jpg

olive3.jpg

David...those are great! The last one showing just the suckers and eggs....amazing. I eyes are my soft spot!

Thanks Dee - and yours are very lovely as well!

That last one with the eggs - that's Olive the Octopus. My wife and I (and a BUNCH of divers in the Seattle area) followed her "pregnancy" for 10 months. My wife and I did about 40 dives to see her over that time. That's my favorite photo I've ever taken.

We cried when she died. :(

It was a truly amazing experience, watching her live out the last part of her life. She taught us SO much about life, and about life in the oceans, too...

Octopus hold a very special place for me. It's always been sad to know the females sacrifice themselves to bring forth life. I only hope one of her offspring give you and the other divers as much joy.

I'd love to see one of your Pacific Octopus one of these days. The small Caribbean variety I get to see are great....but I'd sure like to see one of the really big ones!

Do you have a location for your photos? I'd like to see more of your work.

Thanks for the kind remarks... :)

I keep my photos on my website:

http://www.pugetsounddiving.com

Obviously, I "show off" some of the better ones here, so you'll find several there that aren't quite as interesting. :wink:

But I would be happy for anyone to have a look.

I've been doing a LOT of training diving recently (my ITC and stuff) so I haven't been taking as many photos of late :rolleyes:

But I just got back from Fiji and Campbell River, so I'm in the process of culling through all the mess and updating the site with new stuff....

The pics of Olive are very special memories for me :)

David & Dee,

Awesome pics ! David you have just 'wasted' an hour of my time ! Once I got started on your site I couldn't stop ! Sad but lovely story about Olive. And, diving in S.E.Asia I'm never likely to see a Wolf Eel but I really gobble up (I'm sorry - couldn't resist, weak willed, on my father's side) anything to do with these incredible creatures - some wonderful photos in there.

I just had to post something - anything ! I feel inspired ! One of my very favourite creatures - The Frogfish (this was taken in Nha Trang, Vietnam). Cute lil' critter isn't he ? Well he was until I posted him - what am I doing wrong here ? The photos look fine in a graphics package but as soon as I post them they look like garbage (way too big for explorer) ?!?!?

Also a question that any good photographer will be able to help me with - what exposure settings are you using to darken the background to black whilst keeping the foreground subject brightly lit and in focus ?

Keep up the good work guys (n' gals).

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom