Monastery Memorial Plaque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck Tribolet:
I suspect it hasn't been there long. Several people have
reported seeing it, but none that I know of before 8/1
when a friend saw it and e-mailed me about it the next day.
He reported it as being at 90'.

I checked my logbook and we saw it 7/24. I thought it was something old that I had just overlooked on earlier dives.

Respect for the dead.

That is a good lesson learned, at Monastery Beach.

People die there on the average of one per year. Sometimes two per year.

Chuck Tribolet:
I suspect it hasn't been there long. Several people have
reported seeing it, but none that I know of before 8/1
when a friend saw it and e-mailed me about it the next day.
He reported it as being at 90'.

I know its all relative to tides and what not, but my friends who saw it the same day as me say it was in about 112 feet (they judged it because one person who held at 110 looked down slightly at it, one who hit 115 looked up slightly).

Someone needs to get their depth gauges (or their memory) checked because the tides do not change 25 feet even at Monastery!

W

Chuck Tribolet:
My concern is that it's sliding down the slope.

The plaque will probably slide its way down through the sand waterfall at 190 ft and settle itself eventually around 250 ft. because the slope then flattens out, around 250 ft., for about 50 yards, before it gets really steep again.

That is where my advanced trimix class was held, so we got a good look around when we were there.

Chuck Tribolet:
Tides do change 25 feet some places. But not here.

My concern is that it's sliding down the slope.

I think its a matter of where people are positioned while looking at it, and I dont think it could really slide, the way it was placed there, it looks like it would have to be intentionally moved (which I really hope isn't the case). Next time I get out there, if I can find it, I'll try to get a definitive reading

I think its a matter of where people are positioned while looking at it, and I dont think it could really slide, the way it was placed there, it looks like it would have to be intentionally moved (which I really hope isn't the case). Next time I get out there, if I can find it, I'll try to get a definitive reading

The plaque is now at 83 ft and now attached to a cement base which should keep it from getting moved.

The plaque reads:

STEVE EWART
FEB 1963 - July 2003
WE WILL RIDE AGAIN

Here is a picture of the plaque taken Sept 6. 2007

IMG_0003-1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom