Monastery Memorial Plaque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's another thread on this somewhere. It was raised and resunk; I think it's been in the rocks at 83' for a while. I first saw it there June 2010.

Thanks for the update and the pic though. I still haven't gone to scrub it.

There's another thread on this somewhere. It was raised and resunk; I think it's been in the rocks at 83' for a while.

I'm trying to find this other thread, but no luck so far. Has someone raised it since it was accidentally pulled from the water back in 2007? I'd like to see that thread if someone can find/post it.

Thanks!

Ryan

Here is an old picture if the memorial freshly cleaned up:

steve.jpg

Since this seems to be the canonical thread on this memorial, I just wanted to post an update here. My buddy and I dove and found it on two dives on April 27, 2013. The plaque is getting harder to read and this thread was the only way I was able to figure out what it was for. Here's a recent picture which is apparently of the back side.

steve.jpg

Based on my computer it was at about 90ft and we sent up a GPS that marked the location at 36.526722,-121.927732.

I also looked up the article that was posted in the Monterey Herald after the accident.

Castro Valley scuba diver dies off Monastery Beach
An East Bay man died while scuba diving off Monastery Beach on Saturday.
Steven P. Ewart, 40, of Castro Valley, went diving with a friend, Jay Irish of Livermore, about 11 a.m., according to the Monterey County Coroner's Office. The two later became separated. Irish could not locate Ewart, and he called 911.
A Coast Guard helicopter found Ewart at 1 p.m., about 50 yards from where he and Irish first entered the water. Emergency workers took him to shore, where they pronounced him dead several minutes later.
State Parks officials are investigating the case, and no foul play is suspected, the sheriff's office reported. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

My sincerest respect to the memory of Steven, and thank you very much Ryan Holmboe for restoring the memorial so it might last a little longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom