Monastery: Calm to Rough: How fast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problem is DocWong is just too good of a diver for Monastery to roll him :wink:.

That's because he never passes up a good "practice" dive. :wink:

I remember that...I went to the aquarium that day. :D

I remember it too. And I, too, went to the aquarium. But only after marveling at the instructors who were putting their students into the water, even after many of them were wrapped around the stairs. I was DMCing and my instructor said "no way" to putting our students in that day.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, diving in from the top stair? :wink:

The first picture looks like Lloyd
That's 'cause it is.

Here is an interesting video about entering and exiting Monastery beach
YouTube - Monastery Beach Dive Video Preview

That video is a good example of how conditions can change. In the beginning of the clip I talk about how calm the day is, thinking that this was too calm a day to effectively demonstrate how challenging Monastery Beach can be.

By the time it was my turn to get into the water, the waves had picked up significantly.

Also, a good thing to do as far as buddy systems are concerned is to have a more experienced diver be on hand, with no equipment on, to assist a newer diver on entry or exits. Once all buddies are safely out of the "tumble zone," the last diver can get geared up and do an entry while the other buddies watch.

I think having especially attentive buddies is essential to safety and more fun!

That video is a good example of how conditions can change. In the beginning of the clip I talk about how calm the day is, thinking that this was too calm a day to effectively demonstrate how challenging Monastery Beach can be.

By the time it was my turn to get into the water, the waves had picked up significantly.

Also, a good thing to do as far as buddy systems are concerned is to have a more experienced diver be on hand, with no equipment on, to assist a newer diver on entry or exits. Once all buddies are safely out of the "tumble zone," the last diver can get geared up and do an entry while the other buddies watch.

I think having especially attentive buddies is essential to safety and more fun!

Yes! was calm in the beginning and it seemed like you where trying hard to get knocked down but it really got rough . Good thing you came out like a champ anyway.

It was quite a rush getting rolling in the wave and coming out of it, but I came out of it with a lot more respect for Monastery. I'm so glad we got good footage of it because I don't plan on doing that again!

Back
Top Bottom