Monastery: Calm to Rough: How fast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would take it if it were offered too. I promised my family I wouldn't dive there again, but I'd be happy with the knowledge (of what bit me).

Many of these pictures were taken there, a surf mat really helps.

OT: Thal, great pics! When was the Pt. Lobos shot taken?

getphoto.cfm

Late 1970s I think

So I haven't ready the whole thread but to reply to the original question:

I have dove North and South Monastery many times. Several of the times the entry was quite rough and sure some would have turned away or called it too dangerous but at the end of the day even if its bad theres lots you can do to make it safe.

Now im not saying take in a new diver no matter how rough it is, but discussing rough entry/exit techniques prior to diving there is useful and may help save someone if something happens to the conditions during the dive, which I have had happen with a tour before.

Essentially waves come in sets. In these sets there will be some waves that are bigger and other waves that are smaller. Watch the sets for some time, maybe even as much as 10-15 minutes. You will see a pattern of when to expect these smaller waves (this applies on entry and exit).

Entry:
Once you know the smaller waves in the set are coming its time to go. Before this however you need to do some extra stuff. Make sure your mask is on securely, and that the hood is clear of the skirt. Have your reg in your right hand ready to put in your mouth as soon as you start moving to the water. Make sure your octo is securely fastened and somewhere you can easily get to in the event you lose your primary. Making sure it doesnt easily fall behind you is very important. Hold your fins securely in your left hand. HAVE SPRING STRAPS. Have your buddy check done at the car, and make sure your air is on.

Now once the smaller waves have been identified, get that reg in your mouth and have a good hold on it with your teeth. Move quickly but don't run and lose your footing, but make sure that you do not stop in the surf zone. Keep going past the dropoff and if you can use your feet to push out farther do so... perhaps the back side of the swell will get you back in range of the bottom so you can push out a little more. Now you want to get straight to putting on your fins and as soon as you can kicking away from the surf zone before stopping to regroup. Now you can take out the reg and remove the mask if you like.

Essentially on exit you want to float close but safely out of the surf. One the smaller waves are coming put in your reg and put on your mask like before and kick into just about where you can barely touch the bottom. Take off the fins and use the swell to move you in. A perfect rough entry exit you will time the swell so that it carries you in and sets you on your feet. This takes practice. Lets assume you get close and now your laying on the ground with waves breaking over you. No worries. If you can dump your air from your BC and crawl, REALLY crawl, make sure your going uphill and don't stop until your a few feet from where the waves are ending. An alternative is committing to crawling if you dont feel comfortable trying to walk out and keeping your fins on. Swim in on your stomach with all you have and once your able to touch the sand with your hands and again crawl like you've never crawled before (unless youve done this before :p ).

Sure this sounds like a lot, but it flows quite logically when you're actually doing it. The key is really having in your reg and have your mask on and when you are going through the surf DO NOT STOP.

As you can see if someone panics there can be problems, thats why rough entry/exit isnt a good idea for new divers unless they know they can hold it together. Granted if you go out and things pick up these methods should safely get people out... while you may be exhausted after the exit.

I think dannobee was talking about using Monastery to teach concepts like wave sets and rough entry and exits that really do apply to any dive site. Even at gentle breakwater you have wave sets and there are times when even it produces some not too gentle entry and exit conditions.

Michelle and I have been at Breakwater on a day where the ocean ended at the top step. There was no beach. (Unless the waves were on the way out).

OW Students were still entering and were getting rolled. Granted I didn't stay for the exit but I bet it was worse....

Michelle and I have been at Breakwater on a day where the ocean ended at the top step. There was no beach. (Unless the waves were on the way out).

OW Students were still entering and were getting rolled. Granted I didn't stay for the exit but I bet it was worse....

I remember that...I went to the aquarium that day. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom