Mom of 2 new Boy Scout divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2scoutsmom

Reaction score
Hello, I'm here because my two boys age 17 and 15 are taking a PADI certification course. They are boy scouts (1 just earned EAgle, next one on the way). They and Dad are getting certified and going to Boy Scout High Adventure SeaBase in the FL keys next summer. They have done their 2 tank dive classes, classroom instruction, and will be doing their 2 open water dives soon. I know nothing about diving other than having been snorkeling once. I'll be browsing thru and maybe asking questions. I'm looking for Christmas gifts of diving gadgets, too. Diving watch? Knife vs. scissors? Writs computer?? ETc. Etc.
So I thank you in advance for your patience and for sharing your knowledge with me.

--2scoutsmom

Welcome, 2scoutsmom! You've come to the right place. Lots of good information here, as well as people to answer your questions.

One eagle and one on the way! I'm impressed.
You should dive with them, you'll wonder where all the money is going if you don't.
There are lots of toys available. Check out the dive shop they are training with and I bet they'll fix you up.

Joe

Congratulations on the one Eagle and one on the way! I'm an Eagle myself so I know it's a great achievement. I also went to the high adventure Sea Base in Islamorada. That's where I was first certified in 1998 and now I'm an instructor. If you have any questions about the Sea Base or anything at all, don't hesitate to message me anytime. Good ideas for gifts? Hmm....pay for that next specialty class. That's a good one, keep 'em interested. :) Have fun and do some diving yourself, you'll love it!

Welcome to the Scuba Board. :hi: Fun place to hang out, learn more, compare, argue, etc. :thumb:

As far as gift suggestions, I'm sure they'll give you hints soon enough. :hehe:

So, why don't you get certified, too. It's really a blast. Besides, wouldn't want you to turn into a Scuba Flunky for the other 3. Tney all need to handle and know their own gear for safety reasons, anyway.

don

Dandydon: yes, they are giving me hints already! Scuba flunky-- never heard that one before! (If it means driving kids around, getting stuff, fixing stuff, carting stuff, arranging stuff, then yup, I've been a flunky of one sort or another for years!!) My 10 y/o daughter wants to take the classes too. For now, she will have to snorkel with me. As far as diving, I don't like to have my head under the water! And I would never get past the clearing the mask lesson. I am battling late stage lyme disease right now and feel pretty miserable, so I guess I will stick with snorkeling and "flunky-ing".

Naturediver: cool! I'm so excited to hear you did SeaBase. I can't wait to go. Daughter and I are going and staying somewhere nearby to sightsee and play at the beach. My husb. and kids decided to get certified first so they can do the dives there, vs. spending their time there getting certified. Their instructor here said if you get cert. in CT you are going to be happy diving ANYWHERE else! Their instructor's assistant is a very experienced diver who is also an Eagle, and led a troop for years. When he heard she was going to be doing classes for a Scout contingent, he said he had to be in on it. Scouting opens a lot of doors and gives many people a common thread.

scubajoe: good advice. Their instructor has already shown me some knives, and other gadgets. As far as Scouts and Eagle, I'm so glad they're in it. They have learned so many terrific things. Keeps them out of the malls, too!! They ahve taken a Power Squadron safe boating course, lifesaving, waterfront safety, disaster preparedness, wilderness survival, and other cool things. I have a saying posted on my refrig, "For every 100 scouts" and it lists a lot of things, one is "for every 100 scouts, one will save a life, and one will save his own life." I like to think all these experiences will make them stronger, more self-reliant, and safer.

warren: thanks for the welcome. I could tell as soon as I found this BB that I could learn a lot here and get good advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom