Mold in a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpmyoung:
Please, please do not wash your suit in the washing machine! You will ruin the neoprene. The aggitation will ruin it. Go with the mild bleach. If the suit is a loss hopefully next time your friend will hang the suit until it is totally dry, but hey life happens. Good luck!
I do wash my wetsuit - but only the gentle cycle. And of course never spin it. Temp - 30 Centigrades. And it does nothing to the neoprene. At the same time it rinses neoprene really well.
Mania

I was once told that there are two ways of killing mold - Bleach and fire - both would fix your problem, and the fire meathod would probably look interesting afterwards. . . but probably a little difficult to wear :wink:
Tim

just offering a bit of "light" hearted humor (bad pun I know)

mike_s:
I left a wetsuit in a gear bag one time for a little over a week after an ocean dive. I didn't have any clue that something could smell that bad after a situation like that....

I mean it was bad. It was drawing stray cats it was so bad.

I went to the LDS and got some "sink the sinik" and poured in a whole bottle. It really worked. Don't know if that will work on mold, but it will help with stink.

I was wondering if that stuff really works. if it got rid of your stink then it ought to get rid of a slight musty oder.

firemedic296:
I was wondering if that stuff (Sink the Stink) really works. if it got rid of your stink then it ought to get rid of a slight musty oder.

It worked very well in the situtation I described. I can't remember what a bottle of it costs. PRob $5 or $6, but that's a guess. It worked great.

I put it in a large storage bin and filled with water and added Sink the Stink as the bottle directed. Let it soak for an entire day. It worked great.

It was either that or throw away the wetsuit as the wife won't let it back into the house. And I'm not kidding. The cats did show up thinking there was dead fish there after I took it out of the back and hung it up out back while I went to the LDS to buy some of that stuff.

firemedic296:
they sale it at the LDS in little 1/2 oz. sqeeze pouches.

I forgot about that. I saw some for sale that way in the keys. I'm not sure if my LDS sells them that way or not. I just can't remember.

mike_s:
I forgot about that. I saw some for sale that way in the keys. I'm not sure if my LDS sells them that way or not. I just can't remember.

yeah the last time i saw them they reminded me of those little shark repellant pouches they used to sell 10 or so years ago

WetSuit Shampoo, then Mirazyme or Sink the Stink to kill microbes, after dive drip. Hang to dry thoroughly, hang in closet on non metal hanger, or roll in a ball and store it away. No mold and suits last longer.

I wash my wetsuits in the washing machine and spin dry all the time. In fact, to dry them, I will put them in the machine on just the spin cycle. Never had a problem. *shrug*

I would never bleach my wetsuit, I'd think that would hurt it a lot. You can use a mild antimicrobial soap if you need to, but I'd think just washing it with regular detergent and some sink the stink would work just fine.

SueMermaid:
I wash my wetsuits in the washing machine and spin dry all the time. In fact, to dry them, I will put them in the machine on just the spin cycle. Never had a problem. *shrug*

I would never bleach my wetsuit, I'd think that would hurt it a lot. You can use a mild antimicrobial soap if you need to, but I'd think just washing it with regular detergent and some sink the stink would work just fine.

yeah, we had washed a bunch of suits and never had a problem with the old suits but my little brother washed his new one and it rubbed a bunch of holes about three in. long on the chest.

might just be one of those freak deals but i'm not going to chance it ever again. not worth the $$$ to me not to just hang'em up and let them dry or put them in the dryer on air dry.

Back
Top Bottom