Mola near cruise ship pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On the Blue Angel facebook page there is video of a large mola (ocean sunfish) in the water near one of the cruise ship piers. I had no idea that they were ever seen in the Atlantic Basin.

Link? I'm not finding that on the Blue Angel Resort page.

Some ten years back there was a mola seen down south near maracaibio. We saw it off shore of tunich. apple had some photos from one of her boats

Some ten years back there was a mola seen down south near maracaibio. We saw it off shore of tunich. apple had some photos from one of her boats
Molas are amazing creatures. I had always thought that they were exclusively found in the Pacific.

I had always thought that they were exclusively found in the Pacific.
We get them each year in WPB & Jupiter off of Florida. Once in July & then in December. If we see 'thimble jellys' , then the mola's are in the area feeding on them. One friggin scared the crud out of me. I had my head in a lobster hole and it got really dark all the sudden. I looked up and this massive "Disk" was going overhead above me. Since I don't see them all the time, it took me a minute to register what it was. Seen others but had to swim after them and chase them down.

On the Blue Angel facebook page there is video of a large mola (ocean sunfish) in the water near one of the cruise ship piers. I had no idea that they were ever seen in the Atlantic Basin.

We saw 4-5 randomly off Rhode Island during a blue water shark dive in 2015. Was a complete surprise, but very cool.

@Johnoly , thanks for the migration info for SE Florida. Will definitely keep that in mind.

Lance

Seen Molas swimming a couple times in Monterey area.

Unfortunately, on other occasions, seen Molas dead or dying, as the local sea lions rip off their fins for sport and leave them there.

Seen Molas swimming a couple times in Monterey area.

Unfortunately, on other occasions, seen Molas dead or dying, as the local sea lions rip off their fins for sport and leave them there.
so sea lions are a**holes, after all. Hmm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom