Moisture Munchers Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy a tub of a product called Damp Rid for about $6. Its a big tub of dessicant. Take the old MM's out and place in a ziplock bag full of the stuff. In a few days, they will be purple again. Just keep recycling them. I've had some for 3 years.

When I started videography, suddenly I started paying attention to things I heard things on TV like "moisture-wicking properties, Anti-leak core, Thermocontrol technology to stay dry, cool and comfortable" etc. Many a stimulating conversation was to follow. Some people apparently found it creepy at the supermarket.

They're available everywhere and thin enough to slide in to some tight places.
:giggle:

Thanks for all of the information guys. I just got back from Utila last night and I had no problems with fogging while I was there. I ended up ordering the 1g Silica Gel Packets from Indicating Silica Gel Packets - Silica Gel - SilicaGelPackets.com and got them individually sealed.

Every morning I setup the camera in the room with the AC on low (our windows didn't really shut all the way, so it didn't help too much) and placed 3-4 silica gel packs in the housing. I setup the camera right before going to the boat, and once on the boat, put it straight into the camera bucket (I had my own :D ). In between dives it lived in the bucket, and at lunch I opened the housing in the room with the AC on, changed the battery, sealed it up, and put it under my wet towel on the table (away from the window) until we went back to the boat. It then went straight back in the bucket.

With all that, I had no problems with moisture, and I only went through six packets over 20 dives.

When I started videography, suddenly I started paying attention to things I heard things on TV like "moisture-wicking properties, Anti-leak core, Thermocontrol technology to stay dry, cool and comfortable" etc. Many a stimulating conversation was to follow. Some people apparently found it creepy at the supermarket.

They're available everywhere and thin enough to slide in to some tight places.
:giggle:

My wife just doesn't understand why I grab a panty liner from cabinet, fold it in half, and place it underneath camera in housing. It works well.

I went to Back Scatter East looking for desiccant packs and they had none, The advise they had was to blow some air from a scuba tank into the housing to dry it out right before you close it. I've done four dives with my camera since, the first I forgot to dry it out and it fogged the last three I dried it out and no fog.

shamwow sounds good

My wife just doesn't understand why I grab a panty liner from cabinet, fold it in half, and place it underneath camera in housing. It works well.
Sold! I'm going to try that this week. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom