Moisture Munchers Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orionnt

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a week long trip to Utila coming up at the beginning of July and I am trying to find an alternative to Moisture Munchers to put in my housing with my new E-PM1. The last several times I have purchased Moisture Munchers I openened the pack to find most, if not all, of the capsules were already spent.

I found these: Indicating Silica Gel Packets - Silica Gel - SilicaGelPackets.com and they look like they would work, since they are basically the same thing. Just wondering if anyone had ever used these, or had any other suggestions for an alternative to Moisture Munchers.

Thanks

McMaster-Carr

I have used some from mcmaster with no problems. I believe the ones I bought can be dried in an oven so I can reuse them. And you can do a will-call and pick them up if you have one near you.

I use the ones from GoPro with good success in all of my housings. They can be found at dang near any store that sells GoPro. Plus they can be dried in the oven.

A much better option is simply not to use them but eliminate the problem moisture to start with. Assemble your camera and housing in your room and before closing it up, crank up the A/C in the room to full making sure the compressor is running (air is very cold), let it run for a few minutes to get down to temperature then hold the camera and housing in the air flow for a minute or two to remove any moisture and moist air from the housing. While still in the air stream, close the housing. Now you have a housing full of dry air- no moisture- no need to munch it out and no fogged lens. The camera will get condensation on the outside of it as soon as you leave the room but that is of no concern. Be sure to return the A/C to normal before you leave.....it gets darn cold in the room if you don't....not that I have had any experience doing it. :)

These work way better than moisture munchers, are way cheaper, and fit inside housings that don't allow space for a moisture muncher ...

Amazon.com: Fitness Quest 19800-2M ShamWow Towels - As Seen On TV: Home & Kitchen

Buy the towel, cut it into pieces sufficient to fit your camera/housing, and slide one or two pieces in wherever it fits. These things absorb an amazing amount of moisture ... and are reusable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

GOOD CALL BOB! Damn ShamWow has to be good for something.

A much better option is simply not to use them but eliminate the problem moisture to start with. Assemble your camera and housing in your room and before closing it up, crank up the A/C in the room to full making sure the compressor is running (air is very cold), let it run for a few minutes to get down to temperature then hold the camera and housing in the air flow for a minute or two to remove any moisture and moist air from the housing. While still in the air stream, close the housing. Now you have a housing full of dry air- no moisture- no need to munch it out and no fogged lens. The camera will get condensation on the outside of it as soon as you leave the room but that is of no concern. Be sure to return the A/C to normal before you leave.....it gets darn cold in the room if you don't....not that I have had any experience doing it. :)

if the room does not have decent AC i sometime place the case in the freezer for a few minutes and assemble the camera in/near the freezer to avoid excess moisture.

Bring the dessicant. Utila lacks much in the way of modern amenities. I've fogged my housing even after closing it in the air conditioned room, etc. Keep the camera out of the sun. Never leave it exposed on deck between dives. I keep mine in an insulated cooler bag I bought at Costco for $7.00. It does a great job of keeping it cool and protected between dives. Never tried the ShamWow. Sounds like a good idea.

I am reading this thread with a certain interest. I agree you need a moisture free housing to start with however I find that assembling the housing at similar temperature of the water you will be diving in is generally fine
What is more important is not to leave the camera in the sun and cover it with a towel preferably in a shaded area

But the aircond and freezer suggestions scare me. An environment with air cond is not necessarily dry. I would argue a dehumidified environment not necessarily cold is always better than giving any electronic item a thermo mechanical shock

Temperature gradients are a primary cause of circuit failure and cameras are not designed to operate below zero C so the freezer idea seems a bit excessive if I then put the camera into 30 C i have given it a huge shock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom