Modifying Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bandito

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver and I have a new one piece 7mm (New England diver) wet suit that fits me very well except that the legs are a bit long making it hard for me to get the suit on over my dive boots.

Is it advisable to simply cut some of the leg material off?

If so do I need to install a new hem or taped seam where the cut was made?

Otherwise any additional information or insight regarding this subject is very much appreciated.

Thanks...

You could cut some off and it will probably not be a problem unless you cut so musch that you don't have a good seal at your ankle any more. If that is the case take the excess you cut off and glue it back on to the suit so that you still have a nice fit at the ankle. Aqua seal should do the trick for that. It may llok like doo doo but diving is not a glamor show. Good luck.

What kind of boots? I put my boots on after my suit. I just roll up the leg a bit, put on the boots, and then pull the leg over the top of the boot. Maybe we are talking different boots here. Mine are 5mil neoprene.. Basically zipper-sided neoprene high tops. Yours?

Joe

Hi Joe: Did a dive this weekend. Beautiful weather in the Gulf of Maine..! Well, for the first time I tried the method of putting boots on after putting on the suit by rolling leg cuffs up and then rolling down over top of boot. Took a bit of work, and wouldn't want to do this on a 90 degree day!! but this method worked just fine. Thanks for your tip...for now I think I am going to just stick with your recommendation...hey if it works why knock it!!..

Thanks...Cliff

Bandito:
Hi Joe: Did a dive this weekend. Beautiful weather in the Gulf of Maine..! Well, for the first time I tried the method of putting boots on after putting on the suit by rolling leg cuffs up and then rolling down over top of boot. Took a bit of work, and wouldn't want to do this on a 90 degree day!! but this method worked just fine. Thanks for your tip...for now I think I am going to just stick with your recommendation...hey if it works why knock it!!..

Thanks...Cliff

Glad to help.
I imagine the water gets a tad chilly there eh? I got my first taste of cold water this weekend in about 45 dF water. I think I'm moving south:)

Hi Sideband...

We dove off Cape Neddick it is easy to access fairly deep water off the shore right away at about 45 feet. Out a little bit we got down to 60 feet...temps dropped from approx 50 degrees to 44 degrees when we dropped in that zone. Some "thermo"cline that wass...shiver me timbers...!

Bandito:
Hi Sideband...

We dove off Cape Neddick it is easy to access fairly deep water off the shore right away at about 45 feet. Out a little bit we got down to 60 feet...temps dropped from approx 50 degrees to 44 degrees when we dropped in that zone. Some "thermo"cline that wass...shiver me timbers...!

Brrrrrrr
Living in the Chicago area I'm sure I'll end up doing a lot of cold dives. I won't like it, but it's all we have. We need to make some really good friends in the south. Our dives this weekend had a surface temp of 64deg. and it was low 40's at about 40 feet. The temp of "The hole" (80') was only listed as "chilly" . :)

Joe

Bandito,

Was that at the public access to Cape Neddick (Nubble) Light that you dove? Do you need a town permit to dive there now?

I had posted this in one of your other threads.... how do you find the one piece suit for our Maine cold waters? I have had a two piece for years and was thinking about getting a new one piece. Is it warm enough for cold Maine waters? Do you wear any other neoprene (shorty?) under the one piece?

I have always found the 7mm farmer john warm enough and didn't want to change if the one piece is not as warm.

What are other divers experiences with the one piece for warmth as compared to a two-piece or farmer john/jane?

Bandito:

Hey Sideband...Chilly? Man...that sound like Cold to me...!

Hi Bnaudie: I have used the "farmer John" before at Nubble and compared to the one piece the farmer John is warmer since with a 7mm suit you are effectively covering the core of your body with 14mm of neoprene. I like the one piece suit as it is easy to put on especially in hot weather and the cold water usually affects my head and hands and face more than my core so the one piece works out fine for me. Need a 14mm hood!! As far as diving at Nubble is concerned anyone can dive there. There is public parking within an easy walk to the cove (no more than a hundred yards) and you don't need a permit. A lot of the local dive shops take their open water certification dives there so there is usually always someone there. A note about parking...when we go to Nubble we try to get there early...say around 8:00am...because the parking can fill up pretty quick with tourists especially in July and August. Maybe we'll see you up there...

Cliff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom